News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Quality

Started by geoff, February 09, 2008, 07:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geoff

A am sixty years old and I have been a model railroader most of my life. I am primarily an HO modeler but I am also working on a small On30 layout because I love narrow gauge but I can't see HOn3. Now that an affordable segment of "large scale" is finally getting away from the toy like appearance it has perked my interests. Besides, I can actually see this stuff!  The Fn3 stuff has great detail and although Bachmann suggested retail prices are a joke, you can actually buy this stuff for a reasonable price. However, the more I read these posts, the more concerned I become about quality? There seems to be problems with so much of it! In HO and On30 I probable have fifty Spectrum steam locos and most are good to excellent. I just don't know about Fn3?

My experience so far is as follows. I just received my Bachmann 2-8-0 Connie and a Bachmann 1:20.3 box car. In addition I purchased a plastic caboose and stock car from Accucraft. The 2-8-0 is beautiful and appears to be a quality piece. Then I read the posts about the problems with it and it makes me wonder. What run do I have? What do I have to fix? The box car is another matter. One truck was not attached, I found the screw but not the washer in the box. One of the wheels is mounted crooked on an axle and wobbles as it turns. I could not straighten it out. One journal box cover is missing and one fell off. On the coupler lift bars, both pulled right out of the coupler pins. I have requested parts from Bachmann and I think the connectors can be glued back into the coupler pins? Not a good experience! The two Accucraft cars are superb with absolutely no issues and I paid less for the stock car than I paid for the Bachmann box car! I now have a Bachmann K-27 on order and after reading about all the problem with this item my concern is growing. I was also considering a 38 ton Shay or a Heisler but I just don't know? Reading these posts reminds me of Microsoft and their habit of releasing products that where not ready and let the customers sort it out with help from product support!

I guess I need some reassurance from someone that I have not purchased a bunch of problems?

Curmudgeon

First off, we try to get "procedures" or "fixes" out ASAP.
Work is done to try to make them do-able by most hobbyists in the field, or at least to keep them running until factory parts are available.

The 2-8-0 motor screw fix has been out for 7 years.
What could not be said was EVERY SCREW was loose.
That's an exaggeration, but you will be surprised.
Yank the noise board, too.

The journal box cover issue has been listed in every GR review since release.
And I get yelled at for doing so.

I certainly hope a certain VP sees this Monday.

So far, and I've had at least 15 boxes open, the parts, if off, are SOMEWHERE in the box or packing.

The lift pins are loose on purpose.
If you put in the drop couplers and new chains, you need to get them out.
Slow-set super glue when you are certain which you are using.

I have been running a pair of 2-8-0's for at least 7 years and haven't killed them yet.

Sorry about the counterweights, but the "field fix" is out, and factory parts are coming............we hope.

Wobbly wheels is a concern that pops up from time to time.
Of the 15 or so I have, one or two wheels had a very slight wobble, yet others have had more, as you have.
INSIST on replacement parts or return it for another.

At least you don't need sideframe braces on Bachmann 1:20 cars.

Phil Stump

I have about every thing Bachmann has produced, in Fn3,  and enjoyed it all. some of the small cheaper stuff I bought, knowing it was not top notch, but thought it would be good razor saw fodder. The larger more expensive engines have been very good. some have had their issues. All of those real issues have been adressed by Bachmann in what I consider to be a realistic manner. I some times think some of the guys get a little carried away in voicing real [or not], problems  too loudly before the powers have a chance to check it out and come up with a solution. I am sure glad I dont have to deal with the screw ups caused by an over seas company that I have no control over. Some people go on the old saying " The squeeky wheel gets the oil". I prefer " You catch more bears with honey than vinigar".

jpipkin

I have been in Large Scale for about 20 years.  LGB generally works great right out the box.  However Bachmann has much better detail (and price)and the quality has been on a constant upswing.  I am using mostly Bachmann motive power for my current F scale "fine scale" modeling.

leeasso

Hi Geoff! I haven't purchased any Bachmann rolling stock, but have purchased several off the G scale steamers, specifically 2 and 3 truck Shays, a Climax and a Heisler, and have experienced no quality issues to date. Like so many others, I'm having problems installing decoders, but mostly due to my ignorance. I purchased the 3 truck Shay with a Tsunamis  sound system installed, and it ran on DCC right out of the box. I haven't looked into the tender to see why I did not have to install a decoder. I'm currently operating  DCC with a MRC Prodigy system. You known what they say: 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Good luck - Austin in NW Washington.

geoff

Austin,
Thanks for the reply! We are almost neighbors as I am in Longview, WA.
I recently purchased several Accucraft frieght cars on eBay and I have to tell you the are very impressive and not a single problem with any of them. That's one reason why I am upset. I buy one Bachmann box car and it has several issues out of the box. It was also $10.00 more.
Geoff.

geoff

I want to thank those who have taken the time to respond. I am very knowledgable about HO but I am new to Fn3 and it is very frustrating having to learn so much. As fare as motive power it seems Bachmann is the only afordable game in town. I have a 2-8-0, a 38 ton Shay and a K-27 on the way. The 2-8-0 and the Shay are beautiful and I will keep my fingers crossed that I have no problems with them. Thanks again!

Stevelewis

Geof

I bought  my  first  Shay back in  the  90's  it  was  ggreat  no  problems  at  all

I have  recently  gone  back into  modelling  large  scale  American  ( From  Swiss!!)  and  have  just  bought  a  SHAY  &  a Heisler  both  are  great  no  problems  no  loose bits.  they both  run  well  &  are  very powerful  so   dont  hold  back on  buying  them!

If  I  could  work  out   how  to  post  photos  I  would  do  so! But  if  you look on  www.gscalemad.co.uk  forum  you'll find  some   posts  from  me  about  the locos  just  check under my  name!
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

Stevelewis

Geof    I should  also  have  said  that  I have  installed  ESU  Loksound XL  decoders in  Shay  &  Heisler  succesfully.......  a very  simple   job
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

grumpy

I just recently purchased a Mogul and I put it on a shelf. I don't know if it will pass inspection with the scale modelers but it looks to good to run to me.
Don