News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

CN locomotives

Started by grumpy, February 25, 2008, 12:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumpy

During 1960 I was working in Armstrong Ont. . The only transportation in and out was by train or 4 wheel drive or Volkswagen over a very bad road.I would head home to Winnipeg by climbing aboard the second engine when it stopped to change crews . The engineer would turn on the heat and the lights and he would let me off just out side the Transcona yards about 2o'clock in the morning. Part of my layout is the mainline into Winnipeg. I would like to identify the most likely locomotives CN would have used  during this time period.
Don ???

TonyD

Out near you, a one horse town-Calgary? There is a group that puts out oblong paper back books on all things in the great white north....British modelers of north America? I will hunt one down later today. They give good discriptions of where and when each type of power was used, there is a million of them, they ain't cheap, but well worth it. I know Winnipeg was the point where MLW's ran east, EMD west, except for yada yada yada, a wealth of info, I would thing you were hiding in gp-9's in that neck of the woods, last time I went thru on VIA, unlike you, I bought a ticket....., the 'car attendent'? Not a conductor or trainman any more ?..... threatened to kick an Ojibwe gal off at the next stop if the little daughter didn't stop runnning up and down the aisle.....she needed to get home to Reddit, and got seriously scared to death of getting kicked off in the sticks..... we all took turns entertaining the baby.... seems there is still no way around there but the CNR.....or RCMP...
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

Jim Banner

I don't know where grumpy (Don) hangs his hat these days, but Calgary is about as far from Armstrong Ontario as western Mass. is from another one horse town, Houston Texas.

Note to Woundedbear - isn't Calgary more of a half horse town since a well known politician had to leave?  I will leave it to you as to which half is left.

Seriously, an older copy of Trackside Guide would likely give you not only locomotive types but numbers as well.  Try calling hobby shops and used book stores in your area.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

grumpy

grumpy

Jim
You are about halfway between where I was and where I am. But I usually don't wear a hat and I would definitely not wear a Stetson.
Don :)

r.cprmier

James;
There ARE no one-horse towns in Western Mass...

Actually, there are a ton of 'em, and they are all smashingly beautiful places to find oneself.

Now Calgary a one horse town?!!  Ah haha hah hhhaaaaa  etc etc etc...

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

TonyD

You guys are more worried about my one corny remark abut Calgary than helping poor lo' grumpy locate the lunch box he left in that GP-9, get to work you guys....that baloney sanwich is pushing 50.....guess I got to do all the serious research around here... me and all these high school kids than can make a computer jump thru hoops, I bet they can dig up division rosters for certain time spans.....
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

grumpy

I usually  recycled the balony sandwich when I reached Winnipeg. But if you can find the lunch pail it might be worth a few bucks. I have to relate this story - it is true . The newsy who came in on the train in the morning had about 10 minutes to drop of his papers and magazines and have breakfeast. He would radio ahead for his bacon and eggs . When the train pulled into the station he would drop off his papers run to the staion coffee shop , scoop up his bacon and eggs with his hands and in 30 seconds he was back on the train. I usually skipped breakfast and waited for lunch.
Don :)