News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Advanced DCC

Started by Yampa Bob, February 27, 2008, 12:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yampa Bob

Jim, thanks for the input, especially about the pusher.  I pasted your post to my "logbook".  Score 1 for the EZC.

When you run a consist with one throttle, then I assume you first program the 2 locos for more precise speed matching?   

If running a  consist with separate throttles,  do you determine the speeds required by watching the coupler action, by sound, or by some other visual reference?

A typical consist here in coal country is a minimum of 8, 3 on each end and 2 in the middle.  The curves throuh the valley are too tight for the larger diesels, so they use 4 axles.  Once it reaches Phippsburg, then they are handed off to larger units,  and head back to the mines with emptys, usually 100 or more. 

How would you handle such a consist, or is it even possible? 

As a matter of interest, over 100 million tons of  high btu coal are hauled from Peabody/Kennicott  each year.  Some of it is taken to Wyoming to mix with their low btu grade, most goes east.  The local Tri-State plant has their own mine next door.  A 100  ton load of coal has a burn time of about 20 minutes.   With my low power system, I can only run 2 locos and 20 cars, the rest just has to be imagined.   

Bob 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim Banner

Quote from: Yampa Bob on March 03, 2008, 01:17:47 AM
When you run a consist with one throttle, then I assume you first program the 2 locos for more precise speed matching?
Bob 

Yes, unless the locomotives are already similar enough that they can run together.

If running a  consist with separate throttles,  do you determine the speeds required by watching the coupler action, by sound, or by some other visual reference?
Bob 

Usually by coupler action.  I speed up the lead locomotive until the couplers are under tension.  If they are already under tension, I slow the lead locomotive until the couplers go into compression, then speed it up again to put them back in tension.

Running pusher service with two throttles is relatively easy.  You keep pushing just enough to keep the train moving.  If the train stalls, you aren't pushing hard enough.  If the train walks away from the pusher, then the pusher is no longer needed or wasn't necessary in the first place.

A typical consist here in coal country is a minimum of 8, 3 on each end and 2 in the middle.  The curves throuh the valley are too tight for the larger diesels, so they use 4 axles.  Once it reaches Phippsburg, then they are handed off to larger units,  and head back to the mines with emptys, usually 100 or more. 

How would you handle such a consist, or is it even possible?
Bob

I couldn't do it on my layout but I suspect it might be possible on a layout with much more generous curves.  Speed matching all eight locomotives would likely work at low speeds in spite of there being two places in the train where the couplers would likely be in "neutral" i.e. not in tension and not in compression.  Using three throttles might actually work better as all the couplers could be kept in tension all the time (I believe that is the target on full size trains with mid engine helpers.)  I have had some success taking 40 car trains up a 4% helix with 18" radius using two locomotives on the point and two more 2/3 of the way back.  Fun to do, but derailments, when they occur, are never minor.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

honestabe58

I HAD EASY COMMAND AT FIRST, THEN A FRIEND AT THE LOCAL HOBBY SHOP TOLD ME ABOUT MRC-PRODIGY ADVANCE 2
SEE I HAVE ALOT OF ENGINES AND I WANTED TO LABEL THEN BY THE NUMBER ON THE ENGINES. WITH THE MRC YOU CAN DO START SPEED AND SLOW DOWN SPEEDS AND ALOT OF OTHER THINGS TOO.

WITH EASY COMMAND YOU CAN ONLY PROGRAM THE ADDRESS FROM 1 TO 9

I HAVE A 300 SQUARE FOOT ALAY OUT AND I FOUND THAT THE EASY COMMAND WAS OK AT FIRST, ONLY THEN I FOUND THAT I NEEDED MORE SPACE TO PROGRAM MY ENGINES.
BUT ITS UP TO YOU WHAT YOU WANT TO RUN YOUR TRAINS. I AM GLAD THAT I MOVED TO A BETTER CONTROLER.

HONESTABE58
READING PA.