News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Coupler types-a-thousand...

Started by styntwin409, March 14, 2008, 06:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

styntwin409

A while ago I started replacing the horn-hook couplers on my dad's rolling stock that he found at his parent's house with knuckle couplers. I first started replacing them with McHenry's, then I got some kits that had Bachmann E-Z Mate's, and I recently got Kadee #5's to go on a Chessie hopper kit. If I want to place uncoupling magnets on my layout, will having all these different couplers work with it if it's a Kadee magnet? Would it help in general if I put all Kadee couplers on them?

Thanks in advance!   :)

~Justin
~Contact me on my new account, Chessie Sys. 3022~

My Chessie layout site

Paul M.

They say that Kadees are the best couplers, but if you have differing magnetic knuckle coupler types (ie, EZ Mates and Kadees) it should work okay.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Woody Elmore

Paul - "They" are correct - Kadees are the Cadillac (or Lexus) of couplers. They cost more and you may have to fuss with them but they were the first in the market and  are still the best.

I have an old HO wooden snow plow (Ambroid?) and several Binkley kit cars that belonged to a man who has long since passed. He gave me the cars and they have the older, first run, Kadee K type coupler with the straight coupling pin. They work as well today as the day they were installed.

I understand that with tight budgets, the clones are an attractive alternate and they work well for the most part. If you want long lasting, trouble free couplers use Kadees. You get what you pay for.

r.cprmier

If you look either online to providers or your local hobby shop that does significant business in trains (not just at Christmas time), you will inevitably find the twenty-packs of the more popular Kadee  couplers, such as #5 or #58..
For myself, I started using #58s on all of my stuff.   They are more to scale, but it is all a matter of what you personally want rather than buy 58s or 5s...  My advice?  Do not buy the smaller quantity packs; go with the twenty-packs.  You will use them.  The only exception would be the other styles of Kadee couplers; different shank configurations, for example; which are produced on a lesser scale than the more common styles.

Also, Kadee has quite a bit if technical info available both in the packs and on-line.  I have a bunch of McHenery, bachmann, intermountain, etc, plastic couplers in the same box with plastic wheelsets, and non-scale wheels.  I will eventually pack them up and send them to a gentleman I know who owns a shop and does a lot for disadvantaged kids.

The one thing I will mention at the risk of sounding snobbish, is that as you grow in this hobby, you will probably at some time, want to move up into the quality line of kits, etc.  Those knuckle couplers can always be taken off of older less desirable cars and engines, and re-installed on "better" equipment. 

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!