News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO DCC, is weaker?

Started by Santa Fe buff, March 28, 2008, 12:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa Fe buff

My old Life-Like non-DCC engine, goes 100xs faster then a DCC engine. It pulls more, even when the DCC has a half layout start, the non-DCC beats it flat! What's up with that, werid....
- Joshua Bauer

Yampa Bob

So, you are saying that your DCC runs at , say 40 mph scale speed, but your DC engine runs 4000 mph speed?

You mentioned Life-Like DC, but gave no brand for the DCC.  I have said this many times, but will say it again.  One of my GP35 DCC will pull 30 cars at over 75 mph scale speed, on either DC or DCC power.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim Banner

Old LifeLike?  From a train set?  Rubber traction tires?  And the motor in one truck?

I have one of those.  Goes like a scalded cat.  Starts up like one too  -  0 or 50, nothing in between.   Those rubber tires make it a great puller, unless it meets a turnout.  Then it stalls from too few pickup wheels.  It lives in a bottom drawer with others of its ilk - old Tyco, Bachmann, Playart, Cox, and other trainset locomotives.  All F-7s.  Ah, the nostalgia.

I once took a pair of those old LifeLike F-7s and permanently coupled them back to back. Then I wired the motors together.  Presto - eight wheel pickup, eight wheel drive.  Called it "the thing."   I was pulling a 50 car train up a twisting 4% grade with "the thing" when a Kadee about half way back in the train dropped its trip wire and hooked a tie.  That was the only time I ever saw the metal jaw on a Kadee straightened out.  The train exploded as "the thing" pulled it across a curve, like the string on a bow.  A dozen or so cars went to the happy hunting ground.  Never did find all the parts.  "The thing" never ran again and was last seen on display in a museum. 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Santa Fe buff

Same as you guy say-and I noticed you did the math bob, wouldn't it be something to see GP38-2 go 4000mph! But it's only scattered if I don't use it for about 5 months min. But that won't be a problem, I recently got a bachmann track add-on kit, I'll be using it as a switch engine, now to ask bachmann something-
Can you guys put some rubber on your wheels? 8-wheel drive with traction will do use all good. Saves energy. :)
Now if Life-like would send me a better engine!
Had the set when little, broke it, got a new one, with the dummy not having any couplers, and they made it so you can't open it up like my first one! That's why I became a bachmann guy.
- Joshua Bauer