News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Passenger Car Kit Work-arounds

Started by cosonarrow, July 23, 2008, 08:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cosonarrow

I've been putting in some time with some of the rolling stock Passenger Car kits as of late and I"ve hit a stumbling block...  The "stained glass" pieces provided with the kit are an awful orange color, which contrasts horribly with my paint job (Colorado & Southern). 

Does anyone have any ideas as how I could achieve a nice green stained glass look?  I tried painting over the orange with enamel but it looks terrible when the lights are on from the inside of the car.

Any chance that Bachmann has an alternative color for their kit?  Seriously, orange is an awful choice for a kit.    ???

Jim Banner

Got any friends doing stained glass as a hobby?
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

grumpy

Craft stores carry a product called glass paint. There is a good variety of colors . It works well.
Don

soleman10

You might also try using lighting "gels" that can be found in lighting stores, theatrical outlets, anyplace that does staging.

Jon D. Miller

coconarrow,

Try this.  Testors All Purpose Spray Enamel Transparent Green.  Product number 1256. 

This transparent green will change the pink to a nice green that transmits light.  When painted with this product the clerestory windows will not have a paint buildup and look like they were factory molded using a green plastic.

I have over 20 J&S coaches with their clerestory windows painted using this product. 

(Just one of the "Enthusiastic Children")

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

glennk28

Tamiya also makes several "transparent" colors in their acrylic line.  Go over to the plastic madels section of the local hobby shop. 

cosonarrow

Jon D -

Your solution looks to be the winner and thanks to all else who responded - much obliged.   Forums actually do work!  :)

And one last thing, it's coSonarrow - Colorado & Southern  narrow.  ;)