News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Command with Tsunami

Started by glennk28, April 09, 2008, 08:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennk28

I'm considering an EZ Command DCC for an HOn3 branch on the club layout--will the EZ Comm. operate the Tsunami equipped locos including the sound?   I don't usually work that small--   8^)   gj

Hunt

The E-Z Command Control Center will operate Tsunami decoder equipped locomotives with limits.

An example of limit -- The E-Z Command Control Center, in Function mode, will turn on/off the sound assigned to Function F1 thru F8.  F10 will turn on/off the headlight. You can not program any of the CVs controlling the sounds. E-Z Command Control Center does not support any decoder's F9 function.

Read about the other limits of the E-Z Command Control Center.

The E-Z Command Control Center is an entry level DCC system for people who wish to control a few trains. It is not a good selection for a club layout or to take advantage of the features and functions of a Tsunami decoder.

glennk28

Thanks.  What is "F9"?  Since the club layout has just a short HOn3 branch, the EZC might work.  At least Train World's price is good. 

Yampa Bob

Glenn
According to a "QSI" article at Tonys Trains, F9 has something to do with adjusting the sound to the load,  like pulling a hard grade or coasting down a grade.

It said without the F9 function, the sound doesn't change depending on load.  That's all I know.  LOL

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Hunt

Quote from: glennk28 on April 10, 2008, 02:12:10 AM
... What is "F9"?  ...  
Hi Glenn,
F9 â€" Function Key 9
IN DCC, what the F9 key activates is decoder manufacturer and decoder version dependant. Check the decoder’s documentation to see what function, if any, is assigned to the F9 key.
The Bachmann E-Z Command Control unit does not support F9 even if the decoder has it.

Bachmann decoders with sound â€" F9 (if decoder has it) â€" Bachmann currently has OEM mobile decoders with sound based on SoundTraxx and ESU LokSound (presently used only in some locomotives sold by Bachmann UK) so check the documentation if provided.

Here are some current examples,
   â€¢   QSI steam locomotive decoder with firmware version 7 â€" F9 â€" Heavy Load
   â€¢   SoundTraxx Tsunami â€" F9 â€" water stop
   â€¢   Digitrax SFX064D â€" F9 â€" Brake Squeal
The Digitrax SFX064D has no motor functions and is to be used in conjunction with a standard mobile decoder such as DH123D etc

Caveat -- If you have researched one DCC system or component (example- a decoder) and think all the others are the same â€" you are mistaken!

glennk28

Thanks for the feedback.  My previous experience with DCC habeen with Digitrax, both on a club layout and on a friends home layout--on that layout we began to describe operating sessions as the "Digitrax Follies"--everything that could go wrong did--and things that couldn't go wrong did.  That was where I developed the predecessor to the "5-DCC" that MR described a couple of years ago.