News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lights out in 2-8-0 and 2-10-2

Started by Ohmisterporter, April 19, 2008, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohmisterporter

My Spectrum HO 2-8-0 and 2-10-2 both have failed headlights. The reversing lights work OK, so I assume the lamps have failed. They used to work OK. I need to gain access to the light fittings to change the lamps. After reading other posts on this forum I tried giving the boiler fronts a good pull to remove them, but to no avail. Either I am scared of doing some damage, so don't pull hard enough, or the fronts are held in by some other means. Could they be glued or are there small screws somewhere that I have to remove?

Any advise will be welcome.

Geoff.

Yampa Bob

First check to make sure the small 2 pin plug is pushed all the way into the socket on the tender.  At first it feels like it's all the way in, but there is a small lock tab on the side, push a bit harder to lock the plug in.

On the 2-8-0 remove the drawbar screw.  Near the front of the boiler, on the sides, gently pull out the pilot brace pins, one on each side.  On the right side, there is a link from the reverser to the reverse shaft arm (called a reach rod).  The front of the reach rod has a small pin that is held onto the shaft arm by spring tension, pull the front of the rod out of the hole.

Lift the rear of the boiler to clear the chassis and move it forward to clear the chassis notch at the front.

The light wires may be trapped between the chassis halves. If you can't get the wires out, I would suggest sending the loco back for service.  It is not advisable to take the chassis halves apart.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

For the 2-10-2, remove pilot and trailing trucks.  You will find three screws, one under the smokebox, two under the cab that are deeply recessed.  Remove them and the boiler comes off. 
BTW, in steam times locomotives ran without the headlight on in daylight.  I'd leave them alone.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Ohmisterporter

Thanks to you both. Mission accomplished! Lights now working in both and not too stressfull to do the work. Watch out for those small screws, they bounce when dropped.

Geoff.

Yampa Bob

That's great news, glad you got them fixed.
Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.