News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Layout pictures

Started by glsummers, April 18, 2008, 06:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

This would depend on the railroad.  In 1955 the Southern would be all diesel for the past two years.  C&O would have all diesel passenger, but still mostly steam freight.  N&W wouldn't even be thinking diesel. PRR and NYC would still have lots of steam because EMD, Alco, and Fairbanks-Morse couldn't build diesel fast enough to replace their steamers. 
The diesel facility ballast might depend on where it is built.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Bill Baker

Larry,
The name of George Sellios' book is "The Fabulous Franklin & South Manchester Railroad". As a matter of fact it's on sale for $16.98 (reg $19.95). Go to their website at Walthers.com or call 1-800-487-2467.

In regards to the terrain around the hills, you have one picture (I forgot which number) in which it appears you sprinkled some some WS fine grass. To me it looks like a freshly mowed lawn.  Areas such as this should have shrubbery....it's rough and wild and not maintained.  I would first paint the area a soil color to establish your base. You can go to any good art supply store and and buy some acrylic paints. (red or brown ocre) or use WS ground cover stain.  Then add your shrubs and/or very small trees.  Than as you come down the sides, this is where rain run off would scour the dirt forming the beginning of a stream. Perhaps here you could glue short strands or clumps of field grass inter mixed with some small talus (again Woodland Scenics).  Then towards the bottom the water would erode the base which could expose some rock strata.  My hobby shop sells some rubber molds in which you can form various shaped rocks that you can incorporate in your scene.  I could go on and on, but your best bet is to purchase another book from Walthers entitled "Planning Scenery for your Model Railroad" on sale for $17.98.  Finally, there is a guy named Harold Menke (sp?) who writes quite often to this forum.  He has a website that has some great scenery ideas.  Harold if you read this, send Larry your website address.

Also, if you haven't already, subscribe to Model Railroader Magazine. Every month they feature layouts and you can get some great ideas.

Good luck, Bill
Bill

glsummers

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. You all gave me some great suggestions. This forum is really neat to get some others perspective. I appreciate it very much. Thanks again and Keep looking at larrystrain.org and see how I follow your suggestions. God bless you all. Larry