News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Decoders

Started by FPVonk, April 18, 2008, 05:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FPVonk

Hello, I am from the Netherlands. My modelrailway is Marklin and I am wondering if the DCC decoders from Bachmann are suitable for Marklin Motorola. I ask this because I have bought some diesel lokomotives with DCC.

Fred Vonk

Hunt

Fred,
The Bachmann decoders I am familiar with are NMRA-compliant DCC decoders.

Märklin/Motorola is not a NMRA-compliant DCC system and uses a data format which is not compatible with NMRA DCC.

FPVonk

Hello Hunt,

Thank you very much for your answer, this is a shame. Now I have to put in another decoder. It not that difficult.

Fred Vonk

FPVonk

Hello Hunt,

I have put the question about the bachmann DCC decoder sutable for Marklin also with the service of bachmann. The lady who answerd me said that it should work. I"ll think that she does not know what she is talking about. On the other hand is it worth it to try it out on the Marklin track since I'm planning to replace the decoder by one of ESU (maybe with sound, it depence on the innerspace). These decoders can work wih DCC and Motorola.

Fred

Hunt

Quote from: FPVonk on April 22, 2008, 06:46:36 AM
Hello Hunt,

I have put the question about the bachmann DCC decoder sutable for Marklin also with the service of bachmann. The lady who answerd me said that it should work. I"ll think that she does not know what she is talking about. On the other hand is it worth it to try it out on the Marklin track since I'm planning to replace the decoder by one of ESU (maybe with sound, it depence on the innerspace). These decoders can work wih DCC and Motorola.

Fred

Fred,
Let me know if the Bachmann decoder in your locomotive works with Märklin/Motorola. Also what Bachmann locomotive (give Bachmann  item #) do you have?

Which Bachmann service dept did you contact -- USA? UK?

FPVonk

Hello Hunt,
I have contacted the USA side. The model I bought is a Santa Fe 8-40CW Diesel LOCO. Item # is 83503. The Decoder type is H4915-X0001. I have to rebuild the LOCO a bit so I have to order some parts to do this. As you know Marklin is a three rail system so I have to order a midrail contacter (I do not know how they call it in English). This Contacter is then the on side off the current en the wheels are the other side of the current. That meens I have to work out how to put the midrail contactor on the truch en resolder the wires. I hope you can understand what I'm trying to explane. Now if you want you can send me an E-mail (vonk53@planet.nl) and I can send you a drawing.

Fred Vonk

Hunt

The decoder in your locomotive is NMRA DCC and will not work with Märklin Motorola system. Keep in mind the motor now in the locomotive is a DC type as you make the changes to use your Märklin Motorola system.

Research both the ESU LokPilot mfx and the last version of the ESU LokPilot multi-protocol decoder to determine which best fits your model railroading wants.

FPVonk

Oke Hunt thank you very much for your reply, I will put in a ESU decoder.
By the way does any one know were I can get sounds on the internet for the different diesel loco's. In particullaly for the GE Dash 8-40CW.

Fred

Hunt

Quote from: FPVonk on April 23, 2008, 05:20:34 PM
... I will put in a ESU decoder.
By the way does any one know were I can get sounds on the internet for the different diesel loco's. In particullaly for the GE Dash 8-40CW.

Fred
For an ESU LokSound V3.5 decoder
click http://www.loksound.de/us/index.php?showId=202 and look at order 72446

FPVonk

Oke Hunt thank you very much.

Fred