4-8-4 GS4 streamlined SP Daylight steam loco & tender w/DCC

Started by RR Bear, April 26, 2008, 12:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RR Bear

has anyone had experience with this Loco?

i just bought it and am having major problems getting it to run.  for the first 30 minutes of the usual break-in routine, it jerked, started and stopped as if it were losing contact with the rails (which were clean).  that seemed to work itself out somewhat on straight portions of the track, but when the engine goes into even the slightest curve, it stops.

the only consistency is that when it stops, it will start again if i gently nudge one or the other of the sides of the Loco.  the problem persists even after 2 hours of running.

am i doing something wrong?  i've re-cleaned the wheels AND track with no positive result.

none of my other locos show any such problem on the same track

HELP!  :>)

RR Bear

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

RR Bear

Santa Fe buff

- Joshua Bauer

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat

ta152h0

I am having trouble with the front trucks staying on the track. Got most of the problem fixed by sanding the rail to smooth sheen. but the beast still jumps the track and puts the computer on the fritz........

SteamGene

RR Bear and late model Folke-Wulfe high altitude interceptor - are the same person?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

ta152h0

After spending a good portion of the afternoon trying to examine the problem with this 4-8-4, i came to the conclusion that Bachmann should consider using a small chain as a drawbar for this particular engine, or perhaps a more elegant solution of using ball sockets, as in aircraft, for motion in three dimension. just a thought.  ;D

Hal

Are you running it on DC ? - It is DCC on Board -

If DC you have to remove the Tender Shell - Remove the decoder and install dummy plugs (2).  Look on the bottom of the tender assembly page it shows how to install plugs

Hal
Hal
Myrtle Beach