News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Couplers on McKinley Explorer

Started by Grampa Terry, April 29, 2008, 11:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grampa Terry

I'm just getting started again after many years and got the HO McKinley Explorer for my grandsons.  I set it up and ran it, but I fofund that on a right hand turn, the cars broke away from the engine.  I switched cars to see if there was a problem with the coupler on one car, but they only broke away on right hand turns.  I see that Bachman has many couplers available. 

What do you suggest?  The couplers are the standard ones.  They came with set when shipped.

SteamGene

First question is:  Are they horn hook or knuckle? 
Second question is: If knuckle, are they the older Bachmann knuckle with a plastic spring or the new ones with a metal one. 
Third question is:  If they are knuckle and you don't have a coupler heigh gauge, have you gotten down to eye level with the couplers and insured they are level with each other?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Grampa Terry

#1.  They are the knuckle couplers. 

#2.  I do not know if they are the older Bachmann coupler.  Is there a way to check this out? 

#3.  No, I do not have a coupler height guage and I did get down to eye level when this happened.  One car would stay hooked up to the engine, but the others would break away.   Also, this was on a flat surface - no slope.  I did notice that when I checked the height of the coupler connection, the engine coupler wanted to raise up over the cars coupler.

Thanks