News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

turn outs

Started by ta152h0, April 13, 2008, 04:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ta152h0

Replaced all the turnoputs and the beast runs better over the flangeways. Unmasked another problem, the lead coupler is too low so i snipped it off, which then unmasked a third problem, the drawbar is not flexible enough and the locomotive rocks the tender off the track. I am going to visit my hobby store and get a couple of ball socket hardware from the RC rack and fix this issue. I have seen films of tenders rocking like ducks on asphalt.

Yampa Bob

Try reaming out the drawbar hole first.  Most stock tenders can benefit from extra weight, about another 1/2 oz. or so.  Make sure the drawbar is "floating" in the middle of the tender pin, and not lifting it up, by bending the drawbar. 

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

rocknblues

I adjusted my coupler housings(sorry dont know the real term) on the loco and front of B Unit, moved them far to the right so when the loco makes the LH turn it pulls the B Unit trucks to the turn sooner. Its been working pretty good, I have made a dozen trips through the turnout, still had a derail a couple of times, but its better than it was. I guess basically what I did was shorten the distance between loco and B unit, all other cars follow fine. - rock
rock :)

Yampa Bob

Draft Gear Box......"draft"...a pull or traction of a load....the load pulled or drawn. "Gear" in the context of equipment required for a purpose, such as "Valve Gear".

Most just call it a coupler box, housing works for me. 

It's strange how a post can trigger my think "gear".  I've been working up a diagram on the vector forces on curves for various coupler lengths and placements, particularly related to long steam locomotives and underset carriages.  
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

ta152h0

Don't forget these forces can go in a  x-y-z direction which might mean a determinant solution. That is why i am going to the RC airplane side of things and get a ball-socket joint and make up some drawbars. I am convinced that will solve the bouncy tender dance. I am not good with reaming holes with almost no edge margin wiorth of material.