News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

spectrum sound

Started by chesapeake chaney, April 28, 2008, 10:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chesapeake chaney

I just purchased a 2-8-0 spectrum with onboard dcc.  first 2 questions will it run on digitrax dcc and how do i go about putting sound in it.  I am not very mechanical so is there a plug and play option to this.  thanks in advance  bwchaney

richG

Quote from: bwchaney on April 28, 2008, 10:55:16 AM
I just purchased a 2-8-0 spectrum with onboard dcc.  first 2 questions will it run on digitrax dcc and how do i go about putting sound in it.  I am not very mechanical so is there a plug and play option to this.  thanks in advance  bwchaney

I searched the Bachmann forums for Spectrum 2-8-0 sound and there are some answers. Try it. I tried to post the results page but it did not show up.

Rich

SteamGene

Problem is, Bachmann does not yet sell just sound decoders.  Yes, any decoder works with any DCC system, but the throttles are unique to the system. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

richG

Quote from: SteamGene on April 28, 2008, 12:50:42 PM
Problem is, Bachmann does not yet sell just sound decoders.  Yes, any decoder works with any DCC system, but the throttles are unique to the system. 
Gene
What do you mean by "the throttles are unique to the system? What throttle, what system? I have run a Spectrum Richmond 4-4-0 which does not have sound using the NCE Power Cab.
How about these possibilities? I would install a SoundTraxx Tsunami. I use only the Micro-Tsunamis. I installed one in my 4-4-0.
This may help. I buy most of my DCC stuff from Litchfield.
http://www.litchfieldstation.com/lobby/hoss_bach_2-8-0.htm
http://www.litchfieldstation.com/lobby/InstEx.htm

Rich

SteamGene

The NCE throttle doesn't work on Digitrax and vice versa.  Neither works on MRC, etc. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

richG

Quote from: bwchaney on April 28, 2008, 10:55:16 AM

Ok, back to the first question. This was getting complicated.

The Digitrax system should be able to run the Spectrum. Most systems are compatible.
Install a Tsunami. Your best bet.
Since you have a Digitrax system, sign up with the Yahoo Digitrax DCC group. There are nearly 8,000 members.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Digitrax/?v=1&t=search&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=group&slk=1

If you just want to add a sound decoder, here are some possibilities.
http://litchfieldstation.com/xcart/home.php?cat=18

Rich

richG

Quote from: SteamGene on April 28, 2008, 01:39:40 PM
The NCE throttle doesn't work on Digitrax and vice versa.  Neither works on MRC, etc. 
Gene

Yes that is a known fact.

Rich

Margaritaman

That engine will work just fine with Digitrax.  I do it all the time.

Yampa Bob

Well, not "known" to everyone.  Please explain "The NCE throttle doesn't work on Digitrax".  I thought all this stuff was supposed to be compatible.  It really irritates me when manufacturers make their products proprietary.

If I do add sound it will be Tsunami, and have been considering buying a Power Cab, so I am not concerned, just curious.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

Bob,
Essentially a DCC system has three elements.  There is the master station, the throttle, to a greater or lesser degree mobile, and the decoder.  Decoders will work with any system.  However the master station and the throttle must be from the same manufacturer to be compatible.  Not a good system, I agree, but a fact. 
I think that the Bachmann EZ-Command combines master station and throttle, but I'm not sure. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

hgcHO

Yes -

master and throttle are in the station.

HGC

Yampa Bob

Thanks for the clarification. As I read the post, the implication was that a Bachmann EZC or NCE Powercab was not compatible with a Digitrax decoder.

I seldom mix components, though I've heard that it is often done in DCC.  When I flew I would sometimes use an Airtronics transmitter, Futaba digital receiver, and Hitec servos. But then the "throttle" was always an integral part of the transmitter. 

Also, I don't think of the throttle as being a separate component, the term "cab" seems to be more fitting.  I guess that comes from old school thinking, but in DCC the throttle seems to be more complicated than just a knob you turn.  So in my simplistic view I probably see it as only 2 components since all I have experience with is the EZC.

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.