News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Loco on 18 inch radius

Started by Daylight4449, May 16, 2008, 05:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

I need to get a mainline loco for my dc block wired layout i am building. I have 2 bachmann steamers as my main steam fleet, an 0-6-0 and a prarie. I am tired of that style, can anyone sugest a steam loco that will run alright on 18 inch radius curves and prefferably has 2 copolars, i like northerns, husons mikados pacifics and berkshires best. Please help.

SteamGene

All of the ones you like either will not work on 18 inch radius, or, if they do work, look awful.  You want a Spectrum 2-8-0, 2-10-0, or 4-6-0.  An IHC 2-8-0 is also an option.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Daylight4449

Thanks sadly i only have room for 18 inch on my 4x8 but really any steamer is good. I had heard the bachmann mountain could do it but i was worried about overhang.

SteamGene

Actually, you can do a 4x8 with 22" radius.  The track runs right along the edge of the length.  Erecting a short barrier will prevent dives.
The Bachmann Spectrum LIGHT Mountain will negotiate 18" radii curves.  If you enjoy watching overweight hippos performing aerials on a balance bean, go for it.  Otherwise, think, small layout, small loco, small cars.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Daylight4449

2-8-0 is a nice loco but is really pricy. did you say that the 2-10-0 will work! if it will i am in luck but i would hate to buy it and then find out that it is going to not run at all on my 18 inch radius curves making a problem, please let me know!!!

Daylight4449

actually yes the 22 inch can run on one of my loops on a 4x8 but the problem is that i need it to switch tracks so it can pull the mountaneer express. and the there is the fact that not only do i have too many curves, my grandpa built the table with a wall and screws atattached in a way that in some places it elimanates more than 3 inches off the sides, oops! :)

SteamGene

The Bachmann Spectrum model of the Russian Decapod is a small locomotive - right at the size of the 2-8-0.  It will handle 18" and look okay on it. 
The Spectrum 2-8-0 can be bought very reasonably without DCC/Sound.  Even with that, Train World or Standard Hobby supply prices are not bad.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Stephen D. Richards

Check out the Favorite Spot.  Good prices and very good service.  Stephen

Daylight4449

Standard hobby supply does online orders for my favorite hobby shop and the favorite spot is the ebay store that has the loco inspiring me to ask about the decapod!