News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Locomotive Loses Power

Started by Cody J, May 11, 2008, 11:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cody J

Can Anyone Think of a reason why my locomotive loses power on some parts of my brothers track but my brothers locomotive doesnt lose power.  When I put my engine on my track it doesnt lose power?

Would Prefer A Quick Response

-Cody L. Jackson
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

SteamGene

Openers would be who has what locomotives?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ta152h0

Two things come to mind quickly.1- Motor needs oil ( very sparsely applied very important. 2- wheels not clean. And yes, more details than " my locomotive "

Cody J

Its a Red & Grat Santa Fe-END GP40 Locomotive(its the one that comes with the thunderbolt Train set.

-Thanks

-Cody L. Jackson
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

NelsOn-30

Some thoughts:

Using only the rails to distribute power throught a layout could be the source of the problem. There can be significant resistance in the rail and joiners. This resistance will result in a voltage drop (speed change) in proportion to the current drawn by a locomotive. This could be why the difference in effect (speed).

If you understand the above you know why large gauge buss wires and multiple feeds provide trouble free DCC operation.

Nelson

Notka Lake Logging & Navigation RR

ta152h0

I pulled mine out of the box, never ran before. Runs fine albeit feels really light. I am guessing by now you have the issue fixed. for the record my track was cleaned with a fine grit paper ( 800 grit ) after smoothing the bumps where the rail joiners are.

rogertra

Quote from: ta152h0 on May 12, 2008, 11:53:40 PM
I pulled mine out of the box, never ran before. Runs fine albeit feels really light. I am guessing by now you have the issue fixed. for the record my track was cleaned with a fine grit paper ( 800 grit ) after smoothing the bumps where the rail joiners are.

Never use an abrasive, of any kind including track "erasers" to clean you track as they all pit the railhead, creating more gunk in the process.

ta152h0

here is the scoop. it is the power pack that comes with the set. Starts failing and causes the locomotive to sputter here and there. Happened today while running the engine. Hooked up a MRC power pack and it runs fine now.
W