News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

athearn rdc

Started by Daylight4449, May 16, 2008, 05:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul M.

Besides, the regear kit might be pretty advanced... a Proto 2000 RDC would be "out-of-the-box"

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Guilford Guy

And will have more detail!
Alex

Atlantic Central

A few thoughts:

The Proto RDC is a nice model, but over the various production runs the finishes do not al match, some are very silver while other are sort of bronze or gold looking?

The Proto model is only slighly better detailed than the Athearn model.

The Proto model does run nice and depending on what road name and body style you want, can be had at very low prices.

Personally, I have a small fleet of Athearn ones with the regear kits and can motors - I prefer their selectively compressed shorter length. But I will admit, building them to run well with these aftermarket parts was not cheap.

Sheldon

Guilford Guy

The bronzish gold is meant to represent stainless steel, and is more prototypical than the whitish gray.
Alex

Atlantic Central

Guilford Guy,

That may have been their intent, and you may think it looks more like stainless, but I have seen the real thing, many times, and the simple silver paint looks much closer than either finish on the proto models.

Sheldon

Woody Elmore

Model the Penn Central. I once saw a former NH RDC pulling into Danbury, Ct. It was several shades of grey. The sides were so grimy  that I couldn't make out the little PC worm logo on the side of the car. The orange stripes on the cab ends were a liitle cleaner than the rest of the car. (I have to confess that this was in late February after a snowy, slushy winter so the RDC car was filthy.)