News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DC on track and DCC also - any problems?

Started by hgcHO, May 27, 2008, 12:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hgcHO

What are the problems, if any, with having both DC and DCC on the active track at the same time?  I have run both at the same time and have left the DCC sitting and continue to run the DC.  Only a for less then 5 minutes do I let the DC unit sit while I run the 1 or 2 DCCs. 

Have read here -not a good idea to let the DC sit on active track, while running the DCC but one respondent said they never had a problem with letting the DC sit.   Any feedback would be appreciated.

HGC

richG

I have done the same with an old MRC 2000 DCC system. I do know a DC motor is oscillating a tiny amount when sitting on a DCC rail. It cannot dissipate the accumulated heat which might cause problems in the long run. You might consider a siding that can be switched out.

DCC locos also get pulse power when running but the pulses go away when the loco is stopped so no heating issues.

Rich

SteamGene

The central problem with DCC and DC on the same layout is the possibility that someone will fail to keep a dead block between DC and DCC.  Bad things happen when the locomotive passes from DC to DCC or vice versa. 
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

I don't think HGC is trying to POWER the track with both DC and DCC.  Here's the way I read it, adding the missing information.

"Are there problems running  A DC Locomotive   and DCC Locomotives  on a DCC powered track at the same time?"

I assume the DC Locomotive is being run at address "0" as detailed in the EZ Command manual.  The manual says it can be done, but with the following caution: ...."Some DC motors are subject to overheating and damage when operating for long periods of time on DCC systems".

Every article I have read on this matter gives the same warning, so why take chances?  My viewpoint is, if there is any doubt then Don't Do It !! 

Of course, if you are willing to take the risk, it's your railroad and your money. 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

ta152h0

if I read the question correctly, you have both power sources ( transformer and DCC signal generator in parallel and the rails being the jumper wire. Put a resistor ( locomotive ) on the track and you have a high resistance short. One of the two is gonna smoke and if you have a booster, bet the DC source is gonna smoke. I would also guess the locomotive will be an innocent bystander in this experiment.

Yampa Bob

People, you are not reading HGC's entire post, beyond the first sentence.

Read the second sentence, he said "I have run both at the same time, and let the DCC (locomotive) sit while running the DC (locomotive)". 

Read the third sentence, he said he left the DC unit (locomotive) sit while he ran the DCC units.(locomotives)

Read the fourth sentence, he said someone told him they had no problem with leaving the DC (locomotive) sit.

He said nothing about having both DC and DCC power applied to the track. He said nothing about "shorts" or "smoke".  Even those not up to speed with electricity know you do not apply two different power sources on the track at the same time.  I give HGC the benefit of the doubt and assume he is intelligent enough not to do it.

Granted, the first sentence, used by itself as a singular question, and out of context might imply that.  I urge HGC to repost his question to clarify this, and urge readers to read and re-read entire posts (and all replies) before jumping to conclusions.

Now, if by the slight chance that HGC says he IS running both power sources, on the same track at the same time, he and I are going to have a long talk.  :D

hgcHO

Bob,  You got a chuckle out of me - you are correct. 

I run both DCC and DC at the same time using only the Bachmann E-Z Command Control Center.   My DC engines are of the bargain basement brand.   Now I do not run my work yard set up for more then 30 minutes at any one time.  As I am testing, coupling & uncoupling in yard work [even use a new DCC 'Trackmobile' and especially my DCC controlled 'Uncoupler' box car along with the E-Z Command Decoder-Equipped DCC 'Turnouts' by Bachmann.  Thus a simple red track wire W/E-Z track plug is my single wiring.

No smoke at this time and the DC engine I can hear purr but really no heat up.

I figured that problems would occur if I left the DC locomotive just set on a current active track for any longer length of time but was curious about others experience.  I am aware that I push the envelop of proper operation.

HGC

p.s. Maybe my out is the bargain basement cost of these DC units.

Yampa Bob

HGC
I'm glad I made you laugh.

I won't run a DC loco on DCC power, but as I said before, it's your railroad.

Bob

hgcHO

I hear the Bear talking.  - maybe a little nit picking.

Excuse me for not getting it concise as you want but the content was there as you so stated in your third sentence of the first paragraph - [the full explanation is there].

HGC

Yampa Bob

HGC
I edited my last post.  It was not my intent to be "nit picking" or to offend you.  I was trying to explain that if a question is not stated completely, it can be misunderstood, as evidenced by some of the replies.

I only thought to help you and at the same time promote better understanding and communication among members.

hgcHO

You did, Bob.

I realize that there will always be some who misunderstand no matter how precise and clear one is in asking a question, but that is the name of game.  I Don't think that is a fault but just a different way of thinking when they read the Blog -they may be in a hurry, etc.

I appreciate you clarifying my intended question.

HGC