EZ Track #10 turnout frogs.  Obviously, in terms of power supply,
there is a dead spot there.  I think this is a design problem that has
subsequently been fixed but is there any "homemade" fix for this
problem (my track is ballasted and fastened down.  I'd hate to have
to take up this turnout.
Thanks,
eagle37

Jim Banner

Use a test light or a meter to determine what rail(s) are dead in the turnout.  For each dead rail, solder in a fine flexible wire jumper, connecting one end to the dead rail and the other end to a live rail of the correct polarity.  If the dead rail is bipolar (i.e. if it requires one polarity if the turnout is set left but the opposite polarity if the turnout is set right) then use an Atlas Snap Relay to make the polarity change.

This problem can often be traced back to the ballasting operation which allows thinned glue to be sucked in between contact surfaces where it dries and insulates one conducting strip from another. 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

eagle37

Thanks, Jack.  Actually, though, this section of track is not yet ballasted.  Also,
the engine dies on the frogs.  The rails either side of the frogs are powered.
eagle37

Hunt

Quote from: eagle37 on May 24, 2008, 06:18:59 PM
I have a new Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0 which stops dead on the
EZ Track #10 turnout frogs.  Obviously, in terms of power supply,
there is a dead spot there. 
. . .
Thanks,
eagle37
#10 Turnout ?? Who made it?

Last I looked Bachmann largest turnout was #6.

Out of the package a metal frog on a Bachmann turnout is not powered.

If you do have a Bachmann E-Z Track turnout with a metal frog then power the frog per the instruction on the back of the turnout package. (Hint, use the extra black wire under the turnout with one end not now connected. Connect it to the post under the frog)

Best if you are using DCC not to polarize the frog unless absolute necessary because of a short wheelbase. Check the electrical pickup points on the locomotive could be not all are making contact.

eagle37

Many thanks to "Hunt." The EZ turnout I was having
trouble with has a metal frog, which is not powered.  As
a guy in my hobby shop says, an engine with a longer
wheel base would have no difficulty, since at any given
time one set of wheels would be on powered track;
however, with a short base 4-4-0, there could be--and
was--an unpowered spot.  Plugging in the  black wire
under the turnout solved the problem.  Thanks to you,
a  happy Memorial Day weekend!
eagle37

T-Lloyd

reffering to jim banners reply, what does a snap relay do?

Hunt

Quote from: T-Lloyd on May 27, 2008, 02:49:01 PM
reffering to jim banners reply, what does a snap relay do?
The Snap-Relay does electrically what you would be manually required to if you used a DPDT switch. How the Atlas Snap-Relay works and its uses are documented in The Complete Atlas Wiring Book -- Book # 12.

T-Lloyd

wouldn't you use a controller for that?

Hunt

Quote from: T-Lloyd on May 27, 2008, 04:43:54 PM
wouldn't you use a controller for that?
Use a Controller?, I don't know what you have in mind or are thinking --- you would not use a DC power pack to do the job of a DPDT switch.

Yampa Bob

He might be referring to Atlas part #220, a small module with switches, but they call it a "controller".  It also couples with #215 selectors.  The #200 snap relay is also shown in the catalog.

I picked up their catalog #0101 free at a hobby shop, a bit outdated but has lots of good info about track, layouts, and accessories.

I bought Andy Sperando's "Easy Model Railroad Wiring" second edition. At first glance it seemed way overkill for my small layout, but there are hundreds of diagrams, many based on Atlas electrical components.

http://kalmbachcatalog.stores.yahoo.net/12207.html

No theory in this book, his approach is:  "I'm not especially interested in those fields (electricity or electronics) I like trains!".  I think the book is a "must have" for any model railroader.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Hunt

Quote from: Yampa Bob on May 29, 2008, 01:06:15 PM
He might be referring to Atlas part #220, a small module with switches, but they call it a "controller".  It also couples with #215 selectors.  The #200 snap relay is also shown in the catalog. 
Bob,
Don't neglect the Atlas parts #220 and #215 are designed to be used in two cab control layouts with block wiring. The way wiring was done before DCC. Now they are mostly obsolete products.