News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Vulcan 0-4-0 Saddle Tank in N Scale?

Started by NorfolkAndWestern578, March 10, 2010, 08:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorfolkAndWestern578

After seeing the new announcement about HO Scale 0-6-0 saddle tank locomotives, I started thinking about this. What if Bachmann ever made a model of the Vulcan Locomotive Works 0-4-0 saddle tank in N Scale? It could be modeled after famous tank engines, such as Flagg Coal #75. What would you guys think if Bachmann ever made one of these? I know for sure that I'd have one of them running on my layout.

skipgear

They did at one point. It was modeled after the B&O #99. Often called a docksider.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

NorfolkAndWestern578

Quote from: skipgear on March 12, 2010, 12:30:31 AM
They did at one point. It was modeled after the B&O #99. Often called a docksider.

I actually don't mean a docksider, I mean something that looks like this, rather than a docksider:

http://www.pacific-western-rail.com/view_product.php?ProductID=67654

brokemoto

I would be happy to see either one.

If they could get hold of the moulds from Rivarossi, I would not mind seeing the 0-4-0 and tender, either.  Atlas sold this thing in the late 1960s and early 1970s.  Rivarossi based its model on what resulted when B&O converted two of the four oil burning 0-4-0Ts to coal and conventional configuration.

I am aware that B-mann did sell an 0-4-0 and tender based on a PRR design as part of its Standard Line.

Yes, B&O did have some oil burners.  There were four of these contraptions on which the now famed 'docksider' is based.  They worked Pratt Street and the docks of Baltimore's Inner Harbour.   There were some rather nasty smoke abatement laws in effect for some parts of Baltimore.  In the early to middle part of the twentieth century, you could get the smoke abatement boys off of your case by operating oil burners, although it is debatable how much less smoke oil burners threw than coal.   Western Maryland had some oil burning pacifics that used oil for the same reason.