News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bridge work...Lincoln Logs (Pictures?)

Started by Metallus2000, June 05, 2008, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metallus2000

I am in the process of buying out ebay for lincoln logs for my bridgework and structure underneath my raised railbed....does anyone have any pictures if they did the same I could see?  When I get it going I will post mine.

Thanks

Ken

grumpy

Why not purchase the appropriate size of dowling from your local lumber yard and cut it to size.
Don ???

Jon D. Miller

Ken,
You might want to think twice about using Lincoln logs for bridge construction.

Depending on your local weather and soil conditions Lincoln logs do not stand up to wet weather and bugs. I live in SE, Virginia where it is humid, wet some of the time, and has about every type bug know to man.

Years ago I used both Lincoln and American logs to build small bridges for the layout.  At best either type of these logs lasted less than three years.  Both type logs rotted and the bugs just loved them.  I had even soaked the logs in a wood preservative used when wood comes in contact with wet soil and/or could be attacked by bugs.

Put a lot of time and effort into building these little bridges only to see them crumble in such a short time.

Sorry, the pictures I have were taken in the pre digital camera days and I have no way of publishing these pictures without taking them to be converted to digital images.

If you live in an area where moisture and bugs are the norm then you may want to build using wood that will stand up to your local weather conditions.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Metallus2000

Thanks, good info to know.  It did look like a good idea!