News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

brake wheels

Started by robman, June 03, 2008, 11:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robman

Hi guys 'n' girls. Just a quickie. Was there any correct direction of travel for box cars etc regarding the brake wheel? Should it be to the front or rear of the wagon upon departure? I was told always to the rear, but what if it was returning, it would then be at the wrong end.Just wondering.Rob. Kiwiland.   
Modeling over there over here

hgcHO

You are lucky - I asked the same question not to long ago and got answers here and from old members of a train club and - a retired Santa Fe Engineer.   "Don't matter" 

rogertra

It doesn't matter.

For maintenance purposes, the end with the brake wheel was and is, always the "B" end.  "B" = "brake".  Easy to remember.

While it doesn't matter which end is the front and back when it comes to loading, it may matter which side the car should be unloaded from as the lading may be placed hard against the door opposite the loading dock and thus that door may be too dangerous or too difficult to open.  In this case, the car will have a black on white label stapled to the door not to be opened  that will read "Open Other Side".  This makes and interesting switching move as the car may need to be turned on a wye or the enginehouse turntable in order to place the corroct side for unloading against the loading dock.

I have one or two cars on my GER with this label attached on a boxcar door.  Keeps me on my toes while switching.

robman

Thanks Roger. I like the little tip about "don't use this door". A few surprise tags on a couple of box cars on my friends layout will send his perfectionist switching crews into a frenzy. The neat thing is that although he has two turntables, they are some distance from the industrial areas where they do a lot of switching. This is gonna be good,I'll set it up when I go and set up the roster.Thanks once again, stay on track. Cheers Rob. 
Modeling over there over here

SteamGene

The other thing which may matter - does matter would be a box car with a lumber door or an auto door.   IIRC, these were always on the "A" end - the end opposite the "B" end.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rogertra

Quote from: SteamGene on June 04, 2008, 07:51:46 AM
The other thing which may matter - does matter would be a box car with a lumber door or an auto door.   IIRC, these were always on the "A" end - the end opposite the "B" end.
Gene

'Cause the brake wheel etc., would be in the way on the "B" end I guess.