News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-0 Consolidations

Started by jakuma, June 13, 2008, 01:48:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakuma

I have recently received two Bachmann 2-8-0's new.  I ordered these to double-head ore trains through my mountain range.
They run at totally different speeds so that is impossible.  Both are UP. How do I change the gearing on the fastest one?
Beatrs me how Bachmann can market two indentical locos that run at different speeds.

jack Coomer
Queensland Australia

rogertra

Quote from: jakuma on June 13, 2008, 01:48:00 AM
I have recently received two Bachmann 2-8-0's new.  I ordered these to double-head ore trains through my mountain range.
They run at totally different speeds so that is impossible.  Both are UP. How do I change the gearing on the fastest one?
Beatrs me how Bachmann can market two indentical locos that run at different speeds.

jack Coomer
Queensland Australia

You can't change the gearing, at least without a lot of skilled work.

Are both they identical?  i.e.  Are they both DC or both DCC (If Spectrum make a DCC 2-8-0)?  If one is DC and the other DCC that may make a difference.  I have six to eight 2-8-0s, I forget how many, and they all run about the same speed.

BTW, it matters not that they are lettered "UP".   All Bachmann do is print part of a production batch "UP" another part "SP" another part "B&O" etc., etc..

Yampa Bob

Jack,
I have 4 Bachmann UP Connies. Out of the box they may run at different speeds. After I broke them in they are very well matched in speed.

Run each of them with no cars, forward and reverse, at varied speeds for 15 minutes. Then run them full throttle for another 15 minutes. 

After breakin there is usually oil on the bottom that is thrown out. Wipe it off and don't add any more oil.  If there is still only a slight difference in speed, don't worry about it, just double head and run them.

It doesn't make any difference which loco goes up front. On a mountain ore train, you will spend as much time in reverse pushing as in forward.  Even with "run arounds", which are typical for ore trains and excursions, you will be running in reverse pulling the cars. That's the nice part of modeling mountain ore trains, you can run point to point on just a shelf layout.

I would advise switching the loco's positions occasionally. Are you aware that Bachmann makes ore cars lettered UP?  (Item #18601). They would look great with your Connies.

It is good that both your locos are UP, that's the only Connie with Stephenson valve gear, the others are Walschaert or Baker variations with more moving parts.

Have fun and keep us posted on your progress.
Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Daylight4449

this is a good forum for me and just as good a thread. I am planning on getting 5 of them and two will doublehead freight up devils loop over the division hills.

Yampa Bob

My current "mad scientist" project is a powered tender.  For an idea, check out my thread  "Chopped Goats".

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,4422.0.html

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

jakuma

Thanks Bob for your reply.  I am doing what you suggest and we'll see what eventuates