News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Engine problem

Started by glsummers, May 29, 2008, 03:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glsummers

What would make an engine go thump, thump, thump going forward and then run smooth as silk going in reverse. Any suggestions from the experts? Thanks Larry

SteamGene

Let the experts know what the engine is (2-8-0, GP38, ) and the gauge for any meaningful help.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Daylight4449

I have the same problem with my ho bachmann 2-6-2 only the thumping is when it is in reverse. please help us anyone.

SteamGene

Daylight - how old is the 2-6-2?  Is it a recent model - last couple of years - or is it more than five or so years old?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Daylight4449

2-6-2, got it last January and noise started 2 months ago. by the way, I have an 0-6-0 that i got two januarys ago, (if your wondering why i get them all in january i buy them with chanukah money) it runs fine just need oiling every now and then. i don't like the noise but it doesn't seem to affect the operation of the loco much.

the Bach-man

Dear Larry,
It could be a binding side rod. Carefully watch as the thump occurs to see, and if it is, see if carefully bending or straightening the rod ameliorates the problem.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Daylight4449

don't know what binding means and haven't gotten to test the loco but i fixed this, the rod hooking the valve gear to the driver which i have forgotten the name of had a major bend, 45 degrees!

Yampa Bob

All the drive wheels on a side need to be aligned the same. If one driver slips a little on the axle, it will put a side rod in a bind.  To fix, you have to hold the axle with pliers and twist the wheel back into alignment with the others.

If you have all the counterweights at top or bottom, it is easy to see a slipped wheel by holding a straight edge along the counterweight flats.

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

glsummers

I have not had a chance to get back to you all but the engines I am having a problem with is a Bachman PK2 and Doodlebug by Bachman. Thanks

Paul M.

Could it be a split gear? My Proto 2000 GP7 has the same problem.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Daylight4449

Mine still makes the noise, lets reveiw. Gear grinding like noise, Bachmann Prarie, ho, Straightened rod, been oiled,