News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Help - 4-4-0 only runs in reverse

Started by LarrySmith, June 13, 2008, 09:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarrySmith

I have just received (5:30 pm) a 4-4-0 #83402.  It looks great.  Runs in reverse great.  Problem - it will not go forward.

I took it out of the sealed box, hooked up the tender, and it only ran in reverse.  When I put an Athearn GP35 on the track (to test the power pack)to run with it, the 4-4-0 ran both forward and reverse, just like it should, along with the GP35.  When I was running them both forward I removed the GP35 from the track without touching the power pack and the 4-4-0 stopped and then ran in reverse.

Summary:
There is no problem with the power pack.

The 4-4-0 will only run in reverse when it is the only engine on the track.

With another engine (no DCC) the 4-4-0 will run both forward and reverse.

Question:  What is hooked up wrong and how do I correct it?

the Bach-man

Dear Larry,
Are the plugs in tightly?
If the loco still won't work, return it to either your dealer or Philadelphia for a replacement.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

ta152h0

When i examined the detailed parts drawings, i notice the tender wheels were installed with the same components mounted exactly the same for both front truck and rear truck. I thought it was a drawing error but now with this post, it might be something bigger. I just got mine and if it does the same thing yours does,. i am swapping wheels.

richG

I run my 4-4-0 on DCC so I cannot comment on that issue. My loco has a MIcro-Tsunami I installed.
For the tender trucks, the front truck picks up from the fireman's side rail. The insulated wheels are on the engineer's side.
The rear tender truck picks up from the engineer's side rail. The insulated wheels are on the fireman's side.
I saw the drawings a year ago but figured a drawing error.

Rich

ta152h0

i don't know if the assemblers build the locomotive looking at a drawing or at a manufacturing sequence plan. If the dwg is incorrect, you are getting an incorrect locomotive until quality control catches up. The drawing clearly shows the insulator on the same side on both trucks. The original poster may have gotten one of the early machines

richG

I picked up my DCC equipped shortly after they were released. It is #83401, the black undecorated wood cab version.

Rich

Yampa Bob

I have found several USRA Medium tenders with the wheelsets reversed, but the wires to the circuit board were also reversed to compensate.   

Normally the solder lug nearest the left edge of tender has the wire going to the front truck, the "middle" lug going to the rear truck.

I changed the wheelsets and the wiring so they would all be the same.  Either way will work however.

The tender pickups are redundant to the loco pickups and parallel on the circuit board.  If all the insulated wheels on the tender are on one side, you will have a short.

Out of the box, there are small tabs under the trucks to keep the wheels from being rotated 180 degrees, however these tabs prevent the truck from swiveling for a curve in one direction for the front, the other direction for the back.  I cut off the tabs and made new ones, so the trucks swiveled just enough in each direction for a curve, but don't rotate 180.

I'm now wondering if Larry's problem has been resolved. I read his post several times and it doesn't make sense that the loco only performs correctly when another loco is also placed on the track.  I'm still scratching my head on that one.  Just when I think I've heard of everything, something new pops up.

I would be inclined to follow the Bach-man's advice and return it for exchange.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Sunshine Express

I have a 4-4-0 American DCC Model # 83409,and it is a great model.Would someone please tell me what is the US Engineers side? Drivers side to us Aussies. I run my US Layout keeping right on double track .
Owen Robinson  Queensland Australia
Owen C Robinson

Mike

US engineer's side is right side facing forward. - Mike