News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Compatibility Problems?

Started by GovB, June 16, 2008, 10:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GovB

I have a couple of Bachmann locos, both DC, (but have not built a layout of any sort yet) and I have just acquired an LGB mogul. Its manual recommends to "Use this model with LGB power supplies with an output of at least 1 amp.". Would I have problems (warranty aside) using the Bachmann 1 amp Large Scale Power Pack and Speed Controller? Do any of you guys run different makes on the same layout (novice question)? What problems might I have to address with this situation?

Need some guidance please,

Thanks, GovB
Happy Rails to You, GovB

Spule 4

Should have no problems, but the Bachmann one may be a bit "light" for the LGB model.  Mine would blow the internal breaker operating larger LGB locos.

Just do NOT use the "pulse" feature of any power supply, and you should be fine.
Garrett

JerryB

You can use any brand D.C. power supply with virtually any brand of locomotive. Usually, the only reason LGB (or any other manufacturer) recommends you to use only their stuff is so they can sell more of it. There are some limitations when it comes to more sophisticated power supplies and control systems, but the basic stuff is all interchangeable.

A 1 amp power supply probably means it is from a set. These supplies are designed to provide power for very short trains (the set) on a loop of level track for a minimum cost. Running larger (in terms of current draw) locomotives, double heading locomotives, adding cars, and running on grades all put a strain on these small power supplies, regardless of brand. To operate anything beyond the set the supply was designed for will require a better power supply. You can still use the set power supply for testing and other bench top work.

You shouldn't experience any problems with any aspect of mixing brands of LS trains.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Steve Stockham

The warning against using "Pulse" should indeed be heeded when running LGB locomotives! I have heard horror stories about internal circuitry burnouts. You should have no trouble with Bachmann trains however! As far as pure DC is concerned, one power pack is pretty much as good as another. What you need to look at is the amperage rating (i.e. is it BIG enough to handle the draw?) If you are planning on running multiple locomotives or are contemplating expanding your layout considerably, I would recommend at least a 10 amp power supply!

GovB

This is all great info. Would the Bachmann 5amp booster (#44910) address the power demands or is this strictly for DCC? If not, what recommendations would you have.

Thanks, GovB  ???
Happy Rails to You, GovB

Spule 4

I use a home-made supply into an Aristo TE.  The basis of my supply was a 18VAC 10 amp transformer found on eBay fed through a bridge with a capacitor and fuse.

Before this, I was using (don't laugh) an ancient button type Lionel pack set at +/-18VAC.
Garrett

glennk28

I frequently use the Lionel #1033 transformer with a bridge rectifier to power various throttle systems, such as Train Engineer, or the PBL Foreground sound systems.  Convenient--put out about 5.5 amps at 16 volts--all the potentially dangerous 120-volt wiring is inside the case.   gj