News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Bachmann spectrum 2-8-0 : Problem?

Started by Blind Bruce, June 23, 2008, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blind Bruce

I went to my LTS and picked up a Bachmann 2-8-0 with DCC on board but NO sound. I have a Digitrax Zephyr set to address 03 and speed step 128.
This thing whines like I had it on DC. It requires 60% throttle to get it to move then runs like lightning until I throttle down to 40%. Anything below 40% results in jerky motion.
Since it is new, I don't want to run it too much nor lubricate it until I make sure that this is normal for this unit.
What shall I do?
Bruce in the Peg
Canada

Pacific Northern

Hopefully, the engine needs to be broken in.

Do you have a DC Transformer available or else access to a layout with DC?

Test the engine in its DC mode, the engine can be run on either DC or DCC.

If the engine is not running well under DC then you have a problem. You may need to break the engine in first.

If the engine works fine with DC then the problem would be the DCC decoder. If that is the case return it to the LTS and get a replacement.

Pacific Northern

RAM

Bachman would say to lub it, but don't over do it.

Yampa Bob

Bruce,

I always run new Bachmann DCC equipped locomotives on DC power for several hours before putting them on DCC power. If they don't pass my DC breakin, then they go back right away for replacement.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

mattallen37

Have you tried changing the CVs?

matt

Blind Bruce

There is no table of CVs included with my particular loco. All others I have have such listings and I (sort of ) know what is what.
So, to answer your question, No I have not tried changing CVs. I don't want to mess up anything in case I decide to take it back to LTS.

Bruce in the Peg

richG

Bachmann CV defaults

Click on Product Reference
Select DCC Sound
Select Sound Decoder CV Defaults PDF

In case you do not have it. Spectrum Quick Start Guide
http://www.soundtraxx.com/documents/manuals/Bachmann%20Quick%20Start%20Guide.pdf

Rich