News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Newbie Question, Loco and Cars.

Started by Nuttman, June 29, 2008, 05:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuttman

Pards,

I am a newbie and green.  I have not had a model train since I was about 12 which is over 40 years ago.  I have always loved trains, especially the steam era.
I jumped in today and ordered myself a new engine and cars to get started with.
I ordered a H O scale, USRA 2-10-2 Bachmann Spectrum and the four car set of Bachmann Spectrum Heavy Passenger cars.  The Engine is the Southern 5212 and the Cars marked Southern also.  I know basically the time era for the Engine, but my question.
Are the cars I purchased acceptable to use for this Locomotive in the same time period.  Also, What would be an appropriate caboose to use with this engine.  I have a lot of studying to do, but would appreciate any help.  Many thanks.

RAM

2-10-2 Bachmann Spectrum and the four car set of Bachmann Spectrum Heavy Passenger cars are of the same era.  However there 2-10-2 would not be in passenger service.  I  know about Southern rr cabooses.  Since you you ask about the caboose you may not be planning to use the 2-20-2 in pasaenger service.

SteamGene

The 2-10-2 was a drag freight loco.  I'm not sure if there is anything like an authentic Southern passenger steamer on the market today.  While not authentic to the Southern, the Spectrum Ten Wheeler with the large drivers or a USRA Pacific either lettered for Southern might be a decent stand in for passenger service.  as Southern had both the 4-6-0 and the 4-6-2.  
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ta152h0

and that is where boys imagination kicks in. Big time. I put a pellet in the smoke stack of my lionel and suddenly nothing mattered. I was never a purist when it came to model railroads.

Hunt

Model Railroading has many facets to it. Some folks buy and run what they like without considering the model's accuracy to prototype or its era. Some like to research so as to be as accurate in their model railroading as their modeling skills and budget will permit. Some fall somewhere in between. One rule of thumb – it is your railroad and your money, do what you want.

In addition to the information you have already been given about Southern Railway steam locomotives, if you are trying to be accurate with your models, through some research you will recognize the Bachmann Heavyweight Passenger Cars are the style that would be more likely found in service on the Pennsylvania Railroad.

Bachmann is not the only model railroad manufacturer to place a railroad name or road number on equipment the railroad never had or if they had it, it was a different style.

This link has pictures of some of the types and styles of Southern Railway passenger cars.
http://www.trainweb.org/passengercars/Indices/S4.htm

PhilipCal

Welcome back to a fascinating past time. When all the smoke clears and the dust settles, it's your railroad.  You build these layouts one step at a time. Sure, your passenger cars will look pretty good runing behind the engine you purchased. Bachmann Spectrum equipment is good stuff too. Your wheel arrangement is primarily freight, but as one guy noted once, "look around enough, you'll find a prototype for everything". As you get more deeply involved in the hobby, you'll aquire additional engines/rolling stock. In the meantime, have a ball, and welcome back!! :)

Woody Elmore

It's your railroad and you may run whatever you like. The 2-10-2 was a big engine used in freight service. You might try a SRy diesel for your passenger train. They had a variety of EMD E units in passenger service.

Southern had a variety of cabooses. I haven't kept up with the HO market so I don't know what's available out there in kit form. I always liked the bay window cabooses that they used.

Good luck with your trains!