News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Install sound decoder in small tender

Started by faraway, June 30, 2008, 03:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

faraway

I plan to install sound ( Loksound 3.5) decoder and speaker in the small tender of the Spectrum 4-6-0 low boiler and the Spectrum 4-4-0.
Did someone do so and has some tips and hints how to do? Some nice pictures would be great too.

The "huge" tender of the 4-6-0 high boiler was no problem at all.

Thank you
Reinhard
Reinhard

faraway

Quote from: richG on June 30, 2008, 03:46:06 PM
Here is what I did....
Thank you, looks great. May be I have to omit the baffle as the Loksound 3.5 (not the micro Loksound) is thicker and will not fit on top of the baffle. I hope the whole tender can act as a baffle.
I've some Loksound 3.5 at home and don't want to spend money for the smaller micro Loksound.
Reinhard

richG

I really did not need the baffle part but it was in place with two part epoxy and I did not want to mess up anything. The tender shell is a decent baffle.

Rich

faraway

Two Spectrum 4-4-0 arrived today. I did install the speaker and decoders directly.
That was a positive surprise. The speaker fits under the PCB and the Loksound 3.5 decoders fits fine on top of the PCB and under the (plastic) coal. No modifications required.

However, the current pickup is not as good/save as I like it. I will rework the tender to pickup at all wheels on both sides. I modified a method from On30 tenders with springs from Kadee couplers for H0 size. It'simple and fast.

Reinhard