News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Need help with 4-6-0 wiring

Started by jcopilot, July 14, 2008, 06:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcopilot

I have a low-drivered, small tender ten-wheeler.  I know that Bachmann is notorious for not being consistent with their wire colors and I've been told by Tony's Train Exchange that the best way to install a micro-Tsunami with a speaker is to remove the PC board and solder the decoder wires directly to the model's wires.  This means I need to know which wire is which.

Rather than guessing at the colors, maybe someone who knows could identify the solder connections on the PC board.  For example, there are connections labeled 'IN/R' and 'IN/L'.  I'm fairly certain these are the leads from the wheels and track.  It's the other four connections that I'm unsure of.

There are two on the same edge of the board as 'IN/R' and 'IN/L', they are labeled '1' and '2'.  Then there are two along the adjacent edge that appear to have no label.

Could '1' and '2' be the motor leads and the unmarked connections the headlight?  Since the headlight is an LED, do I need to solder a resistor in that line?  Could I desolder one of the resistors on the PC board and use it?

If you have the time, can you describe how to remove the boiler?  And how easy it is?  The exploded drawing is of little help.

Thanks for any and all help,

jcopilot

richG

If anyone is interested, possible solutions are covered in this link.

http://cs.trains.com/forums/1487482/ShowPost.aspx

Rich

faraway

I did install a Loksound decoder in a 4-6-0 low boiler today. The PCB became removed and I used the wires previously connected the PCB as follows:

1. IN/R and IN/L go to the track (R=right, L=left)
2. Next two solder points on the component side labeled M 2 and 1 are the motor
3. The solder pads around the corner on the bottom side labeled LED2 - and + are used for the front LED.

Hope that helps
Reinhard