Spectrum Explorer Set issues (Baldwin 2-8-0)...

Started by Atlantic Coast Express, July 16, 2008, 11:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantic Coast Express

Having just purchased  a new set, I have discovered that the 2-8-0 Baldwin works fine by itself. When I add the three Heavyweight cars to the track, there is absolutely no movement under full electrical power.

Am I doing something wrong? I thought that perhaps the power controller may not be able to handle the demands of the 3 car train but then I thought why would Bachmann sell a set where the controller could not move the train. Is there an electrical problem with the cars?

I would appreciate any advice given since I am new to this hobby, this side of the Atlantic!

Conrail Quality

One of the cars might be causing a short-circuit. Try placing the loco and cars on the track, but don't couple the cars to the loco. Then turn on the power. If the loco doesn't run, your cars are definitely causing a short-circuit.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

jayl1

Place the engine & 1 car at a time on the track.  Add power.  One car may have the wheels reversed causing a short.  If the engine moves, try another car.

THB-DAVE

The Cars in this set have interior lighting which pick up power from the rails via the wheel sets, make sure one or all of them are not shorting out the controller. Try the cars one at a time and see if the Engine runs. The wheel sets must have the insulated wheels all on one side on one truck and the opposite on the other. They could have been installed improperly.

Dave

Atlantic Coast Express

Thanks for your advice everybody. Problem solved! It turned out that the last set of wheels on the observation car were reversed. Everything is working great now. Thanks again!