News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-8-4 Overland Limited Problem

Started by Michigan Railfan, July 28, 2008, 09:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michigan Railfan

About 6 months ago I purchased the Bachmann Overland Limited set. Everything worked perfectly until the third drive wheel set from the front locked up.Thinking it would help, I put WD-40 oil on the wheels. It turns out, all i had to do was wiggle the wheels a little. The Union Pacific no.806 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive worked perfectly. Only about 3 days later, with all the included frieght cars attached, the wheels began to slip. I took off about 4 of the cars and it worked fine. I tried to wipe off the oil on the wheels with numerous towels, same result. I wiped down every piece of my E-Z Track System with a towel, same result. To this day, the wheels still slip. Any way to fix this? ???

GN.2-6-8-0

take a clean non linting rag with  91% alcohol and wipe down all your track and wheels throughly ,and NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!!!!  ;D
Really WD40 is nothing more that kerosene....there are much better products for lubricating your engines and rolling stock such as Labelles no.108 light plastic compatible oil and their no.106 light grease for gears the oil can be used on all moving parts wheel journals , siderods etc. use the 106 grease in the gearbox's . word of caution: use very,very sparingly ,remember the old brylcreme ad....a little dab will do yeah.
Oh'and watch this board for all kinds of tips and solid information. ;)
Rocky Lives

Michigan Railfan

Thanks. Ill try that and get back as soon as i do it.

the Bach-man

Dear IJ,
I would contact the service department. They'll be happy to help.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

RAM

Really WD40 is nothing more that kerosene.  WD40  is not kerosene.   It is not an oil based product.  It is a good product, but not for model railroad.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: RAM on July 30, 2008, 10:27:40 PM
Really WD40 is nothing more that kerosene.  WD40  is not kerosene.   It is not an oil based product.  It is a good product, but not for model railroad.

I agree, WD40 has many great uses but not on a model railroad layout.

I am amazed at how often some readers/forum members will recommend this product. I learned the hard way years ago while cleaning locomotive wheels. It took a long time and many cleanings to get rid of the residue. Be Careful with WD40 should you choose to use it.
Pacific Northern

Michigan Railfan

thanks. by the way the alchohol helped