News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wheel Cleaning

Started by ajp3751, August 02, 2008, 11:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajp3751

I have an asortment of models from Spectrum and IHC steam to proto 2000 and athearn desisels. I do not run much now because I just have a smaller "portable layout" until I can build a real layout. I use mostly athearn blue box kits and some bachmann cars, but I have never cleaned the wheels on the engines. They seem pretty dirty and I can see the electrical contact performance dwindling when I run them. I don't have much money to spend right now, so what are some good, cheaper, chemicals that can be a good wheel cleaner?

Yampa Bob

I only use 91% Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol) to clean my track and wheels. It's safe, cheap and doesn't leave a residue.

Be careful not to get it on painted parts, as it will mar or dissolve some paints.   
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

As Bob says, the 91% works well.  To clean a steamer's wheels, dampen a lint free cloth or something like it - not a paper towel, and put it on the track.  Put the steamer so that some of the wheels are on the damp cloth and some touch the rails, then apply power, while holding the model so it can't move.  Then move so the now clean wheels are on the rails and the dirty wheels are on the cloth.  Do it again.  Pony, trailing, and tender trucks can be cleaned with a Q-Tip dipped in alchohol.  At the same session, clean your track and your ROLLING STOCK! This is very important, especially if your cars have plastic wheels.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

CNE Runner

An additional suggestion is to use 91% isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) and a used dryer sheet. Paper towels can leave lint in the workings of your locomotives. Notice I specifically mentioned a USED dryer sheet. After use, the sheets no longer contain the softening chemical and are incredibly rugged. I have used this technique for years without mishap.

Dampen the USED dryer sheet with alcohol and place over a section of track. Place the drivers on the damp dryer sheet and add power whilst holding the engine in place with LIGHT pressure. You will be amazed at the amount of crud that will be transferred to the dryer sheet. Diesel engines can be done one power truck at a time...same process though. A second USED dryer sheet can be used to dry/buff the cleaned drivers. Sorry, but on steam locomotives (and rolling stock) you still have to use the old Q-Tip method on the non-powered wheels.

Without getting into the physics, metal wheels stay cleaner much longer than plastic ones. Additionally the track stays cleaner - longer - with metal wheels...they are well worth the investment. I hope this helps.
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Michigan Railfan

i agree with bob. in my post. someone told me to do the exact same thing. and it worked perfectly. mine was 4-8-4 overland limited problem if u want to see what the other people wrote.

ajp3751

Thanks for the help every one. As I have more deisels than steamers I shouldn't have a hard time getting the wheels clean on those, but my rolling stock sounds like I have to plan a day to get through them all. You mentioned metal wheelsets. Who makes a good one that fits athearn blue box kits without much altering to the truck?

Yampa Bob

For the low price, you can't beat the Model Power #9400 trucks with metal wheelsets.  They are exceptionally easy rolling right out of the package. 

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWN06&P=SM

They will fit the blue box bolster perfectly. Note that Athearn bolsters have a small boss (tube) that the truck center bearing fits over.  When the screw is tightened completely the truck may be a little sloppy (too much tilt or sway).  Carefully file or sand down the boss to get a tighter fit.  If you sand off too much, no problem, just don't tighten the screw so much. 

SteamGene

I like Bob's suggestion.  I haven't seen Model Power metal wheels.  I may have to try a few.  Other choices are Intermountain, Proto 2000, and Kadee metal wheels.  All fit in Athearn trucks.  If you go this route, buying a "journal box" reamer and giving the trucks a light reaming when replacing the plastic ones is a very good idea. 
I like the dryer sheet for cleaning wheels idea.  Thanks.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

For all around cleaning and polishing jobs, I like the blue Scott "Shop Towels".  We order the rolls by the case for working on ranch equipment. Very tough, absorbent and lint free.

I use them for wiping up grease, applying wax on cars, cleaning windows, just about any application.  Used dry and folded into a pad, they will polish styrene to a glossy shine.

You can get them at most hardware and auto parts stores. If you've never used these, grab a roll and try them out, they are great.