News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

MRC 1639 decoder install

Started by klemn, July 31, 2008, 05:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klemn

I am installing my first MRC 1639 decoder and I was wondering if you leave the cap on the speaker?

Thanks,

klemn

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r0bert

I'm guessing they mean the black plastic speaker enclosure.
If so, then yes, leave the enclosure on.

klemn

It was the 20mm speaker which caused it to sound so weak.  I replaced the small speaker with a larger one I had lying around and installed the speaker.  Now I'm trying to program it because it runs like crap.  I had it running before on a Digitrax motor decoder and it ran pretty smooth.

Thanks for the replys.

klemn

ta152h0

No company in existence today can duplicate in a lab what an american consumer will do to a product they design.

klemn

Now I need some tips on how to program it.  Ran really good on a Digitrax motor decoder but the MRC 1639 runs like crap.  All of my experience is with Tsunami decoders.  Doesn't look like there is much if any technical help on the MRC webpage.  Any suggestions on what to change (CV's) to smooth it out.  I am using a Digitrax Zephyr. 

Thanks

It is in a Bachmann, if that makes a difference.

hminky

It runs like crap because MRC decoders are crap. Unfortunately the major trade publications refuse to acknowledge this because they buy large ads. Even the ones in the Athearn/Roundhouse locomotives are barely acceptable, you have to live with the one in the 4-4-0 until it craps out because they don't sell a loco that is decoderless.

Harold

Pacific Northern

Quote from: klemn on August 01, 2008, 07:18:39 AM
Now I need some tips on how to program it.  Ran really good on a Digitrax motor decoder but the MRC 1639 runs like crap.  All of my experience is with Tsunami decoders.  Doesn't look like there is much if any technical help on the MRC webpage.  Any suggestions on what to change (CV's) to smooth it out.  I am using a Digitrax Zephyr. 

Thanks

It is in a Bachmann, if that makes a difference.

Check out the search engine on this forum.

If the decoder is to be installed in a Bachmann it is important to cut the capacitor(s). If you do not erratic running is often the result.

Some of the DCC suppliers/installers have web sites have good quality illustrated instructions on decoders being installed in Bachmann engines. Unfortunately MRC is not one of the sites.
Pacific Northern

VTBob

the ready-to-run MRC 4-4-0 ran great.........for a week. Now it stutters, stalls out, & refuses to run. I plan to take it apart, & make it into a Standard DC analog locomotive instead.

Vermont Bob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

klemn

I have sent the decoder back to MRC to have it checked out under warranty.  Have not heard anything back yet.  I did cut the capacitiors but it did not help with the MRC drcoder.  The Locomotive ran pretty well with a Digitrax motor decoder, so i am thinking it must be an issue with the MRC decoder.  I wish I had spent the extra money and bought a micro Tsunami.