News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Mr. B - Russia Iron paint scheme

Started by Pacific Northern, August 09, 2008, 04:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

Mr. B. will Bachmann be releasing any other HO Steamers in the Russia Iron livery?

I have a couple of the Spectrum 4-4-0's and would also be interested in the 4-6-0's in the same paint scheme if it was available.
Pacific Northern

the Bach-man

Dear PN,
I'll pass along your request.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

hotrainlover

Yes,
I find this paint scheme refreshing.  What roads used this, anyway?

rogertra

These days, nobody really knows what "Russian Iron" looked like as it hasn't been used in over 100 years, before the days of colour photography.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: rogertra on August 13, 2008, 01:03:11 PM
These days, nobody really knows what "Russian Iron" looked like as it hasn't been used in over 100 years, before the days of colour photography.

Tell you what, I wouldn't be surprised if the color varied from one manufacturer of sheet metal to another, and even within one company's output at different times. I just did a Google search for "Russian Iron" and "Russia Iron," and the various articles that turned up gave colors ranging from glossy black with a greenish tint (which sounds sort of like the Pennsylvania Railroad's "Brunswick Green") to blue and metallic gray. One article included a photograph of the "Eureka" to illustrate the color (that one looks blue to me). Of course, the Russia Iron of the "Russia Iron and Pinstripe" finish of my Bachmann Spectrum Richmond 4-4-0 looks green to me.

Maybe what it comes down to is, properly used, "Russia Iron" or "Russian Iron" refers to the sheet metal used to clad the boiler, and not to the color of the metal?

Pacific Northern

The original post assumes that the Bachmann version of the Russia Iron is correct.

The request being conveyed is to have additional steam engines released in this colour combination.

The original 4-4-0 Russia Iron is one of the undecorated paint schemes.
Pacific Northern

TwinZephyr

Samples of authentic Russia Iron still exist.  The piece I saw was a glossy dark metallic gray - almost black.  The perceived color changes depending on the environment in which one is viewing it.  On a cloudless day Russia Iron will usually appear to have a bluish tint.

The color on Bachmann's HO scale "Russia Iron" 4-4-0 does not look right - not even close.  Check out the boiler on Bachmann large scale 4-4-0, product number 81392, for a more accurate representation of Russia Iron.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: TwinZephyr on August 13, 2008, 09:14:52 PM
Samples of authentic Russia Iron still exist.  The piece I saw was a glossy dark metallic gray - almost black.  The perceived color changes depending on the environment in which one is viewing it.  On a cloudless day Russia Iron will usually appear to have a bluish tint.

The color on Bachmann's HO scale "Russia Iron" 4-4-0 does not look right - not even close.  Check out the boiler on Bachmann large scale 4-4-0, product number 81392, for a more accurate representation of Russia Iron.

Time to shut this down.

The subject was perhaps there is a market for other Bachmann steamers being offered in the Bachmann 4-4-0 version of the Russia Iron paint scheme.

I like the paint scheme as it is offered in the 4-4-0.
Pacific Northern