News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lionel Challenger

Started by hotrainlover, August 12, 2008, 11:47:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrainlover

Dear All,
Has anyone put a front coupler on the Lionel Challenger?  I want to  be able to "Double Head" or use this unit for helper service.  I know this is the Bachmann site, but there are a lot of Steamers on this site...  And you are Knowledgeable.  Any help would be appreciated!

Yampa Bob

Mounting a coupler on the front of a steamer will probably require a long shank coupler.  For a draft box, I use the snap together box that comes with the #148 coupler.  These boxes are available separately.

You need to build a flat platform for the coupler box, using .040 styrene.  I use white as it is easier to see, then paint it engine black. 

You may have to modify the front pilot / cow catcher to provide an exit for the coupler shank.  With the loose coupler sticking through the front, hook it up to a car and determine the approximate height and placement of the platform.  I make the platform too high for starters, then gradually shim it down to the correct coupler height.  A Kadee height gauge is a must.

It takes a bit of studying and fiddling to figure it out, but it is not hard to do. Drawing a diagram of the loco front will help you determine any angles that need to be cut to build the platform.  Since the styrene pieces will be small, you will need a good set of tweezers with serrated tips.  The best cement for this is Testor's # 8872 semi-liquid with pin point applicator. 

When possible, I build the platform as a modular unit, then when it all fits glue in the entire assembly.  If it doesn't work out, just start over. For this type of project, it is helpful to have on hand a selection of  Plastruct structural styrene, such as angles, channels, square and round tubing / rod in various sizes. 

If you have any problem, send me some close up pictures of the loco front, including a side, bottom and front view.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

Is the dummy coupler part of the pilot or is there an actual hole in the pilot with a separate dummy coupler mounted to it?  If it's the latter, then Bob's absolutely correct.  It it's the former, you will have to cut off the dummy, then drill and square a hole for the coupler.  Whether you will need a regular shank or a long shank depends on how far the pilot extends forward.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

hotrainlover

Gene,
It is a swivel "Looking" pilot front.  I was hoping that someone had completed this conversion before I tried it.  I will have to contact Lionel and see if there are options, before I tear into this beautiful unit.

Thanks for the help!!

Dr EMD

Soon to be a MTH Challenger.
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

hotrainlover

Which means what??

I do not understand.....

jayl1

Perhaps a call or email to Kadee might give you an answer if you are going to add a knuckle coupler.  Good luck. - www.kadee.com

jayl1

Quote from: hotrainlover on August 16, 2008, 08:27:58 PM
Which means what??

I do not understand.....

According to recent legal action,  Mike's Train House (MTH) won a lawsuit ( check a recent thread on MTH/BLI on this board).  According to that thread MTH has aquired several BLI molds as well as the Lionel Challenger & Turbine molds.  Possibly they could release that item in the future.