Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Con-Cor and Bachmann...

Started by Santa Fe buff, August 16, 2008, 10:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa Fe buff

Dear All Who Read,
   http://www.all-railroads.com/instock/homp15.htm
Well, well, well, lookie here. E-Z maters, well at least they went with some good ones, but I like Kadee a bit more.  ;)

I think this is a good sign, for Con-Cors Bunches-of-Olds are a nice deal, Electroliners, Burlington Zephyrs, M10000, and so on, I think that E-Z mates will do fine.

BUT! Does anyone know WHY?  ???

Sincerely,
   Josh B.

- Joshua Bauer

Conrail Quality

Why what? Why Con-Cor is using EZ-Mates as opposed to Kadees? It all comes down to money. EZ-Mates are a fraction of the cost of Kadees, and when you're talking about thousands of models, that adds up to a lot of money.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Santa Fe buff

Dear Tim,
    Sorry about that, I meant why does Con-Cor use E-Z mates instead of making their own couplers?

Sincerely,
   Josh B.
- Joshua Bauer

Conrail Quality

Because they would have to tool molds to produce their own couplers, which would probably cost a few hundred thousand dollars. Con-Cor, like Atlas, has decided that it would be wiser to buy them from someone else and and use that money instead to tool a new model. Some other companies, like Bachmann and Accurail, decided that it would make more sense in the long run to spend the money upfront, and so get couplers cheaper, and get the benefits in the long-term. In the end, it's simply a business decision. Model train companies are very small, and have to use their limited amount of money wisely.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Guilford Guy

I guess the mP54's will have EZ Mates then...  :-\
Alex

Dr EMD

Quote from: Guilford Guy on August 17, 2008, 01:27:49 AM
I guess the mP54's will have EZ Mates then...  :-\

I see you're carrying Con-Cor's mistake.
The new coaches are P-54 and not mP-54. The "m" in PRR terms means they are MOTORS.

They are just loco-hauled commuter cars.
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

Guilford Guy

I know... F&C got it right. Concor is doing mP54's with faux pick-up shoes, but no power trucks yet.
Alex