News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC for Life Like Proto 2000 SD9

Started by hotrainlover, August 19, 2008, 02:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrainlover

Dear All,
I know this is a Bachmann site, and if I could get answers through Walther's I would....

I have 2 Proto 2000 SD9s that I want to install DCC into (Pre-buy out production- 1998?).  I need to know if the motors are Isolated, and how to take off the shells.  I have looked for the original drawings that come with units, but to no avail....

If anyone has the original paperwork, I would ask if you could email it to me.  If someone has already installed decoders into these units, what ones worked, and are there instructions for this...
Thanks for the help!

ajp3751

To take off the shells you need to remove the coupler boxes and remove the fuel tank. The fuel tank is just held on by a sticky membrane so it just pulls off. There are two screws under the tank, they hold on the shell. After you take those off, it should come off the frame with little effort.

I don't have a SD9 but I do have four other proto 2000 diesels (2xGP30, 2xGP9) before the walthers buy out. All of mine are DCC ready from what I see and what I have learned from an earlier post. It should have a circuit board on top of the frame once you remove the shell. A decoder can be placed in there, but that is as far as I know. I haven't converted ny units yet.

hotrainlover

ajp,
Thanks for the info.  I did take off the shell...  It was then that I found a part that pops off on top of the hood??  This hood pops off OVER the 8 pin plug area!!  I put the shell back on..  opened the hood of the other loco...  And presto..  I installed the other decoder in 30 seconds!  I did break off the forward facing horn..  I was in too big of a hurry. 
Thanks again!
Lee