Metal Wheelsets for Rolling Stock

Started by BradKT, August 24, 2008, 04:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yampa Bob

All the way to Rochester?  Wow, that's a new record.  Speaking of thunder, I had to shut down earlier tonight,  huge thunder boomers, lightning everywhere.  We get lots of range fires in the dry season.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

For the truck reamer, look on page 116 of the Micro-Mark Anniversary catalog.  It's in the lower right hand corner, next to the gutter.  On sale for $10.95.  When you change plastic to metal, take the extra 20 seconds to use the reamer before inserting the metal wheels.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Pacific Northern

A very  timely subject for me, I just lucked into a neat find at a garage sale over the weekend.

Two boxes of HO rolling stock. One box is new never assembled Train Minature cars, the other box is MDC Roundhouse cars mainly 36' box cars and cabooses.  These were assembled but for what ever reason the couplers were never installed.

All of these of course have the plastic wheels. Which are the recommended metal replacement wheels and should the journals be reamed?
Pacific Northern

SteamGene

If you are going to put in metal wheels and have a reamer, then ream the journal box.  For metal wheels, Intermountain, Kadee, and Life Like are all good.  You will see the difference if you try a roll test before and after.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Pacific Northern

I was under the impression that the journals on some makes of trucks should not be reamed out.

Does anyone know which make/manufacturer that would relate to?
Pacific Northern