News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

A engine fo mine

Started by westsidelumber12, September 13, 2008, 11:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westsidelumber12

bought one of your bachmann spectrum engines at a train show on Saturday and it doesn't run. To top of the fact that it does run when i was taking it out the box the whole front broke off the engine. I was wondering if bachmann could fix my locomotive. It is a limited edition Baldwin locomotive works 2-8-0.
Santa Fe ALL The Way

Its true....

Yampa Bob

The warranty sheet simply says that after one year, contact service to determine postage, handling fee and applicable service charge in effect at the time the repair is required. I think date of sale proof is only needed during the first year of warranty if the original purchaser didn't mail in the registration card.

So I would say yes, they will repair it for a fee, but if it can't be repaired they may elect to replace it with a comparable quality new or reconditioned model which may or may not be the same edition. 

Best to use your own "nickel" and call 215 533 1600 to contact a service rep.  Don't use email, the mail box is full.

People who sell locos at train shows should have at least a  3 foot test track to prove the loco runs.  Another case of buyer beware.

Good luck
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

westsidelumber12

I think the owner may have sent in the papers because there weren't any in the box. I don't know how to tell if its under warranty or not but all i want to know if bachmann has any to replace it with if i did send it in.
Santa Fe ALL The Way

Its true....

Yampa Bob

Don't assume the warranty registration was ever sent in.  Without proof of the original date of purchase (less than 1 year old), you will be charged a service fee.

The only way to find out if they have a replacement (in case it can't be fixed) is to call them.  You can't tell them what you want for a replacement, it is their option, but I have heard they try to match as close as possible, and sometimes with an even better loco.  It won't be a "limited edition" as you mentioned.

You need to give them a call, we can't suggest much more than that. We are merely volunteers and can't speak for Bachmann on warranty issues.

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Guilford Guy

Here's a tip for shows. Take a 9 volt battery with you, and hold it to the pick ups to determine if the locos run. My friends and I found several nice pieces of equipment that we were told ran, but upon investigation there were no signs of life...
Alex

the Bach-man

Dear Westside,
If you bought a new Spectrum loco from a dealer there should be paperwork in the box. Look under the cardboard backer behind the plastic cradle. If it's a second-hand loco, there is no warranty, but it will be fixed for a modest fee.
Give the service department a call to discuss your options.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Pacific Northern

Quote from: westsidelumber12 on September 13, 2008, 11:48:17 PM
bought one of your bachmann spectrum engines at a train show on Saturday and it doesn't run. To top of the fact that it does run when i was taking it out the box the whole front broke off the engine. I was wondering if bachmann could fix my locomotive. It is a limited edition Baldwin locomotive works 2-8-0.

What is the Limited Edition Baldwin?

Is it one of the older Plus models and also pre Spectrum? I have not heard of any Limited Edition Spectrum models has any one else?
Pacific Northern

westsidelumber12

Its a spectrum 2-8-0 that says baldwin locomotive works on the tender, it was made in very limited numbers in 2006.
Santa Fe ALL The Way

Its true....

Pacific Northern

Quote from: westsidelumber12 on September 15, 2008, 08:15:51 PM
Its a spectrum 2-8-0 that says baldwin locomotive works on the tender, it was made in very limited numbers in 2006.

Gee, I have a collectors item and did not know it.

I have the same engine. I just assumed that the engine road name (Baldwin Locomotive Work) was that era's equivalent of a demo unit. This was my first Spectrum steam engine and it is still running flawlessly.
Pacific Northern

RAM

I don't think that either of you have a collectors item.  I don''t how many of these locomotives Bachmann made, but it was a lot.  Baldwin may have painted an engine like this, however it was not a demo unit.  They may have painted it to take a picture of it to put in their catolog.  It would have been repainted for the railroad that it was built for. 

the Bach-man

Dear All,
Actually, it is fairly collectible. These were made in one run as a promotion for dealers, and never cataloged.
I am happy to have one.
Have fun!
the Bach-man