News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

25 Bucks and Three Evenings Later...

Started by r0bert, September 04, 2008, 01:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r0bert

On a whim, I picked up a Revell Big Boy kit on ebay for $19+postage, and figured as a worst case, I could just shove it into the roundhouse, or spread it's carcass and remains around the scrap yard.
As I looked through the bag of shiney black plastic parts, the scap yard seemed more likely.
Well, as I started assembly, I noticed while most all the details are molded on, and the few free standing railings were big, the kit may yet hold some promise.
The cab, for one, has exellent detail, So I stopped, backed up to the beginning, and treated this kit as if it were a fine scale loco kit.
So, I broke out all my tools and paints, and over the course of three evenings, an actual BB rose from the pile of parts originally destined for the scrap yard scene.
At this point, what I had was a shiny, clean loco that looked like it belonged in a park scene, but since I have no park, I broke out the weathering supplies, and below is the end product, which I now think will end up front and center on the layout under the coaling tower.
Three days from trash to treasure.

Jim Banner

I am glad you made it to look like a hard working locomotive instead of a pile of scrap.  Your pictures gladden the heart instead of bringing tears to the eyes.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

StanierJack

I am not normally a liker of American locomotives, as I find them quite ugly to be honest, but there is no doubt that  this model has changed that  for me.

Do you think that they are available in the UK?  As the price is very good for a static model.

r0bert

hotrainlover