News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Some PRR are Pre-War and some Post-War

Started by Jeauxm, September 19, 2008, 12:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeauxm

I purchased four Spectrum Passenger Cars from a shop that is closing.  I got PRR 89011 (Combine), 89012 (Coach), 89013 (Coach), and 89015 (Coach).   

I need to know if these versions are Pre-War OR Post-War.  I am looking to buy the 4 car set #98300 which is Pre-War and want to make sure they match what I already have. 

I called Bachmann Customer Service and they can only look at descriptions (no help there).

Does anyone know my answer ?   

Also, what is the difference between the Pre and Post War versions of the Passenger cars ?

Thanks
The One with the Most Trains when He dies - WINS

SteamGene

Which war?  Are these heavyweight or lightweight?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jeauxm

I don't have a clue.  None of the boxes have that in the description.  The new passenger cars - 4 set - Bachmann #89300 have a description that includes "Pre-War".  Also, several Steam Engines of type K4 4-6-2 for PRR have either Pre-war OR Post War.  Assuming WWII.

jayl1

If they are six wheel trucks, they are heavyweights. 

As for pre/post World War II, the Walthers catalog lists car #3816 as post-war and car #1704 as pre-war.

Jeauxm

It looks like I have one (combine) with 6 wheels and the rest with 4 wheels.  Other than that - I can't see any physical differences.  I just did not want to have different types running on the same train like Standard vs Streamline - if that makes sense.   

The only way I can get the OBservation car is to buy the 4 set.   It is Pre-War.   I also need to get a Steam Engine which comes in Pre and Post war (3 road numbers each).

BTW - does the heavyweight have to do with the original prototype or the models ?  I can't tell any difference between the two types (4 vs 6 wheel).

Ken S.

Are the trucks and underbody a blackish color or a greenish color?

jayl1

The only HO Spectrum passenger cars I have sold had  6 wheel trucks - as does the set I am looking at now.  I don't recall seeing any 4 wheelers except for N gauge.  As for mixing standard/streamline, railroads mixed cars as needed - especially during WWII.  It's your railroad - run what you like....I believe most "lightweight" streamline cars (not what you have) had the 4 axle trucks.  As for only needing an observation car, try HOyardsale at yahoogroups dot com.  One may show up there (or put in a want to buy listing).  Just a guess - perhaps one difference between pre/post war was the lettering design on the cars.  Some Pennsy cars may have had the keystone added.

Pacific Northern

I have one of the Bachmann Keystone K4 sets. Not all of the heavyweight coaches have the 6 wheel trucks.

http://www.traintraffic.com/ho-scale-model-trains/bachmann-ho-train-the-keystone/

This set comes with the K4 Pacific and three passenger cars, a combine with 6 wheel trucks, an observation car with 6 wheel trucks and a coach with 4 wheel trucks. All three of the cars come with lighting.

The cars are all of the heavyweight design and all have the clerestory roofs.

Pacific Northern

Jeauxm

You guys ROCK !!! 

I think "Ken S." and "Pacific Northern" hit it right on !!!

I what I have concluded - The Black underframed cars are POST-War and the Greenish underframed cars are Pre-War.  Both sets (pre and post) have some 4 wheel and 6 wheel trucked cars (depends on the car).   My Combine with Porthole has black underframe and 6 wheeled trucks.  The 3 other coach cars have black undies and only 4 wheels. 

Bottom Line : I have to find PULLMAN, DINER and OBSERVATION car on Ebay OR just buy the PRE-War set and live with the differences........

I actually started with an SP Daylight Coach that I got from the first trip to the closing train store.  They only had that one and I couldn't find any on-line at all.   2nd trip to the train store I  found a ton of the PRRs.  I could have bought 20 cars BUT they only had 4 distinct road numbers. 

I guess I will just sell the SP  DL.  These are VERY NICE cars either way.   Also need to get me a K4 to pull them !!!

Thanks to you all for your input and help..........Joe

SteamGene

You might want to wait on the SP car for awhile.  The time may come when you'll want to paint it as a PRR car. 
Absolutely correct that a pre-war car might well be rolling long after the war was over.  Many railroads, as mentioned mixed cars, especially on non-premier trains.  IIRC, the C&O had something like either four or six streamlined (lightweight) head end cars - baggage and/or RPO, built for the Chessie that died aborning.  All the rest were heavyweights - non-streamlined.  So if you are doing something in the late 40s or 50s, you could well have a mix of pre-post, and streamline cars in one passenger train. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"