Help a new guy with a slow loco

Started by jimrosensweet, September 09, 2008, 11:44:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimrosensweet

Hi,
I have 2 Bachmann gp40 locos.  One is new and runs great.  The other is several months old and is very slow.  Tried a couple of drops of 3&1 oil but that did not help. 
Suggestions?
Thanks
Jim

RAM

Mike

Seriously, get some tuner cleaner and get all of the 3-in-1 out of there... it's not plastic compatible! If you need to lube (and you will after the tuner cleaner), get some LaBelle's or some of Bachmann's plastic compatible lube. Try running without the body and see if anything is binding. Also look for any wires dragging or any binding areas. Let us know what you find.- Mike

the Bach-man

Dear Jim,
Your local hobby shop will probably have a clean and lube service available.
Get that 3 in 1 out of there asap!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Yampa Bob

When I fine tune my locos, I figure 90% is cleaning and proper adjustment, 10% is lubrication.   I apply Labelle 108 light oil with a toothpick, a little goes a long way.

If a locomotive is "running slow", the LAST thing I want to do is lubricate it.  First make sure the drive wheels are clean, using 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and a swab or cloth.  Check for any accumulation of lint, hair, carpet fibers, "dust bunnies" (especially if you are running on carpet).  Visually inspect to assure all the electrical pickups are contacting the drive wheels.

An essential "tool" for testing locos is an inexpensive digital volt-ohm-meter.  If you have one, or can obtain one, let us know and someone will walk you through how to test the locomotive.  Knowing how much current the loco draws is a good indicator of any problems.

It might be just a fact that the older loco was never completely broken in.  Some locos run great out of the box, others need a bit of running to "loosen them up".

Keep us posted
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.