News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Horn- Hook Couplers

Started by Jhanecker2, September 11, 2008, 09:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jhanecker2

I just started changing over some of the old couplers to Knuckle couplers. I bought some Kadee Couplers  and  some  Bachmann Couplers . The easiest to use so far were the # 18 Kadee NEM mounts for one group of cars. and the  Bachmann Couplers for the Aethern Box cars and the Roundhouse Coal Hoppers. As I was going through some of the Old Bachmann Locos and freight cars , I noticed that they had a variation in the size of the coupler mounting  hole and  coupler .  How many variations were there in that style of Coupler  ?

Yampa Bob

I have seen several variations, which is why I just chop the old system out and rebuild it with Kadee boxes and couplers, and replace the trucks/wheels. 

I only use the #148 and modify the car as needed to fit the box.  Whenever a Bachmann  coupler breaks or starts uncoupling, I replace it as well with #148.  I like the idea of only keeping one style in inventory. 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

CNE Runner

Yes, there were several syles of hook/horn couplers...usually the pivot hole was of different sizes. Like Yampa Bob, I think you will do much better with one brand of coupler. Personally I like the Bachmann EZmate brand as they are rugged and less expensive than other brands (both Micro Mark and Walthers sometimes have these on sale for even greater savings). I also cut off the trip pins because: 1) they can inhibit uncoupling with a skewer and 2) need careful adjustment so they don't foul turnout rails.

Regarding magnetic uncoupling: I have yet to see these work well. Recently I visited a large club layout where I took abuse (most of it good natured) for nutering my couplers. Throughout the session, I observed numerous problems with the [Kadee] uncoupling feature. I believe in the KISS principle so the Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut RR uses the Hand of God skewer to [flawlessly every time] uncouple cars. Again, that is my opinion. BTW you could probably buy a hundred-weight of skewers at Walmart for the price of a couple of Kadee uncoupling magnets.
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Running Bear

Quote from: CNE Runner on September 12, 2008, 10:53:36 AMI like the Bachmann EZmate brand as they are rugged and less expensive than other brands (both Micro Mark and Walthers sometimes have these on sale for even greater savings).
Inexpensive, yes. Rugged, no. At least not by my experience. Every EZ-Mate coupler I've used, whether it be a Mark I or Mark II has broken under load. My longest train is 15 cars and all are weighted to NMRA weight standards. Kadee is the way to go.
Running Bear

Dr EMD

All my plastic knuckle couplers are replaced with KD. The plastic couplers are used on my caboose to reduce "pulled drawbar".
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)