News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Running a DDC loco on DC

Started by Dave G., September 11, 2008, 09:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave G.

Help?

Just bought a Spectrum 4-6-0 which is DDC ready and with sound. 

Do not have DCC anything at this time as this my first loco with a DCC decoder already installed.  I actually was shipped the wrong loco as I ordered the same loco but just for analog or DC.

I am running it on a test track with an old MRC Throttlepack (501).  I know this is an old rheostat power pack.  So the loco runs jerky and the sound really doesn't seem to match the speed of the loco.  Is this expected?  Would a newer DC power pack make an improvement?  Will it always run this way on DC until I finally give in and go to a
DCC system?

Any suggestions or any one else out there who has experienced the same thing?
Can I ever make this loco run better on DC power and how?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Dave

Jhanecker2

Don't own any DCC equipment myself , but from reading some of the opinions in this forum .  You should probably  run your loco in for a while on DC just to break in the mechanicals of the system if this is a new from the box loco . Please check some of the other subjects for more info on this procedure as it has been previously covered in greater detail .   The type of your  DC  power supply should not make that much difference  if it has enough power to  run your other locos .   Also check your track to make sure that it is clean and in good mechanical  condition .    Good Luck  John II.

the Bach-man

Dear Dave,
If your loco has sound, it is a DCC Onboard loco. DCC Ready means that a decoder is easily installed. Yours already has one. You will get the best out of it by using DCC. There are some sounds triggered by voltage change.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Yampa Bob

You might get better performance with a more modern DC pack.  I'm not familiar with your MRC pack, but some older packs are not recommended for running a decoder equipped loco.

I never run a DCC loco on DCC power until it is well broken in and loosened up on DC power.   If you decide to switch to DCC power, I usually recommend the Bachmann EZ Command for a starter system. 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

kevin2083

I think it's the pulsing power packs you have to avoid (ones that send pulses of power through the rails). The decoder can mistake them for DCC signals and do wierd things
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Jim Banner

There are two problems with using these old rheostat throttles with your locomotive.  One is that the voltage fed to the motor varies as the current drawn from the power pack changes.  Technically, it has poor load regulation.  I suspect that your sound system's current draw, which changes along with the sound, is varying enough to affect your locomotive's speed.  If this is the case, then a transistorized pack would improve performance.  All but the most basic power packs made today are transistorized - a low cost potentiometer plus a power transistor are much cheaper than the quality rheostat in your old pack.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Running Bear

Quote from: Dave G. on September 11, 2008, 09:47:59 PM
I am running it on a test track with an old MRC Throttlepack (501).  I know this is an old rheostat power pack.  So the loco runs jerky and the sound really doesn't seem to match the speed of the loco.  Is this expected?  Would a newer DC power pack make an improvement?  Will it always run this way on DC until I finally give in and go to a
DCC system?
The old rheostat speed controls put a lot of power to the track at low speeds because they were made to run the older open frame motors. Today's motors take just a small fraction of the power to start turning, so yes, your loco is gonna jerk and make fast starts and stops. The extra power will also make the sound board act up. Time to get a newer power pack.
Running Bear

Dave G.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

It looks like at the very least, I need a transistorized power pack but then maybe this
engine is what pushes me into DCC.   The sound does add a lot even if it is not what is should be at this point.  I have a a major portion of a layout built which will evenuatally will go all the way around the basement, 25X44'. 

I will be a single operator so I am thinking wireless DCC will work the best.
Are there other single operators out there who operate DCC who have god experience with some of the DCC systems - I would like to hear your thoughts or recommendations.

Thanks for any input.

Dave

Nigel

Wireless is the only way to go.

The new Bachmann E-Z Command Dynamis Wireless Infrared DCC System system has had some very good reviews.  It is an InfarRed (IR) system, like a TV remote control, and requires it to be pointing more or less at the receiver.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1960

Radio systems are preferred - but are more expensive.  I have a Digitrax system with a DH400R throttle that I am happy with.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Jim Banner

I have no experience with the Genesis infrared (IR) wireless but have found that IR wireless can work very well.  A friend uses the Digitrax system and has a single IR receiver mounted in the centre of the ceiling of his 14 x 32 train room.  When a bunch of us operates his layout, we use a mixture of throttles including DT400 (IR wireless), DT400R (both IR and radio wireless), UT4 (IR wireless) and UT4R (both IR and radio wireless.)  We would point the throttles in the general direction of the IR receiver and things would work great.  Then one night one of the fellows brought along a combination radio and IR receiver and put it under the layout.  On this night, those of us with the radio DT400R and UT4R throttles were able to forget about where the IR receiver was located, allowing us to enjoy the trains even more than usual.  At the end of the evening, the fellow went to retrieve his radio receiver, only to find that in the rush to get started, he had forgotten to connect it to the DCC system.  All the operation that night had been on IR alone.  Apparently, there was enough IR bouncing off the walls of the room to activate the receiver.  That was the end of worrying about pointing throttles at the IR receiver.

Where radio wins hands down is in the garden where that huge IR emitter in the sky over powers our relatively puny IR throttles. And it makes life easier indoors if our layouts run through multiple rooms or have high back drops, both of which can necessitate multiple receivers if IR is used alone.  I use radio in the house because I also have a garden layout outside and because my indoor layout does go through two rooms.  And like Nigel, I am very happy with it. 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.