News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC

Started by southerncorns, September 21, 2008, 08:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southerncorns

I am halfway through building my new layout. I have it set up a DC. I would like to know would it be worth it aqt this point to convert to DCC? Let me give you a little info I will be running at least 4 locos on three different mainlines. I have plan to set up at least 6 different bolcks to make run smoothly. I also am having trouble getting my remote access turnouts to work.

Yampa Bob

You can continue making the layout for DC, with as many blocks as you wish. Later, if you switch to DCC power, you can switch all the blocks on and still run multiple trains, all at the same time.

For a layout 4 X 8 or larger, it's a good idea to run a track power buss wire, with multiple power feeds around the layout, for more dependable conductivity. Most modelers agree the more feeds the better, but I think every 5 or 6 feet is sufficient. Others may differ. For HO, a buss wire of 12-14 AWG, and feeders of 16-18 AWG will provide enough ampacity for average size layouts.  In this respect bigger is always better.

If you are using Bachmann EZ Track, there is one option you might want to consider while building the layout.  EZ Track turnouts are now available with decoders installed, so you can operate them from your controller.  If you want to go this route, install the new turnouts now before investing in the basic ones. It appears you already have some of the basic ones, just something to think about if you expand.

With a Bachmann EZ Command DCC controller you can run 3, possibly 4 non sound and lightly loaded locos.  If you contemplate sound, be prepared to add a booster, or buy a controller with greater amperage.

If you haven't acquired any locomotives yet, I would suggest buying them DCC decoder equipped.  Bachmann's, and most other's, will run just fine on DC power out of the box.  Then when you switch to DCC, you won't have the hassle of installing decoders. 

With DCC you don't need blocks, or at least not as many, but they are nice to have for troubleshooting open connections and shorts, or storing any DC locos you might have in isolated sidings.

For the remote turnouts, be sure the slide switches are powered by the AC outlet of the controller.  Two wires from the controller to the switch, then three wires to the turnout.  Most of the slide switches can be ganged, so you only need one AC power feed from the controller.

If I missed anything, others will comment.  Good luck and welcome to the forum, lots of information here for the asking.  You may get varied opinions, but you can sort out what works for you.  The main thing is, it's your railroad, run it the way you want.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Santa Fe buff

Well it seems DCC is the future. Digital Command Control is simply the new way of railroading. This allows you to command and operate different trains at the same time by programing them by the decoder inside the locomotive, then it's preset after you program it to recognize it, so you would have to just simply switch over by selecting a locomotive. So you can have that Amtrak Superliner circling while your controlling the EMD SW1500 int the yard. For you can speed the Amtrak train up to 50% throttle, leave it stuck there by just leaving there and selecting your SW1500, and shunt away! Now if you need a good booster, Digitrax will be your best friend when it comes to all things DCC! ;) Here's a list of there starter kits for DCC and Booster kits, now with everything else in the hobby, the price makes DCC realism an investment:

DCC READY means the locomotive is ready to except a decoder to be regonized and become and sound maker, DCC ONBOARD means it already has a decoder, if you just feel like not installing much, then OnBoard is okay, but for a bigger price tag. If you find this realy cool compadable decorder that you know will work that you want to install, then DCC ready is you probable choice, and it might save a buck or two... You can also get decoders for lights (Blinking, ditch lights, strobes), Sound (Horn, locomotive engine, bell, brakes.), and some more that I currently can't remeber. Overall, it won't be easy or cheap, but should give you some fun features.
- Joshua Bauer

Nathan

Take the time to look at all the DCC systems on the market.  Each has it's good points and bad points.

I know people that have systems from most of the different manufactures and all are happen with them.  If you can visit with some people in your area that have systems, take the time to try them out.  Do not limit your self by buying the wrong system.

Nathan

Jim Banner

Whatever system you decide to buy, it helps if a friend or club in your area uses that system.  As with computers, you will need a guru.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.