News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Russian

Started by Pacific Northern, September 13, 2008, 07:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

I am advised that the 2-10-0 Spectrum Russian has both a short and also a regular tender.

I thought the Russian had the same tender as the spectrum 2-8-0 (except Vandy).

Is there a link to the short Russian tender? Which roadname uses the short tender. Is the regualr tender for the Russian the same as the 2-8-0? (except UP Vandy)
Pacific Northern

Yampa Bob

I'm not sure if any railroad or locomotive had a uniform "standard" tender.(Except for the big brutes.)  I'm thinking they used whatever was needed for the circumstances, or what was available.

IC for example, used several modified USRA types that were 4 feet shorter than standard, then added high hoppers for coal capacity. UP used both standard and vandy.  I replaced the vandys with USRA on my UP Connies, even shortened one Paducah style, which looks better with my shorter cars.

But then, I'm not a rivet counter, just use what I like.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Yampa Bob

Looks good Roger.

Tenders are fun to bash, I have a couple I scratch built with interchangeable hoppers.  All it takes is some channel, angle and sheet.  I used Bowser brass ladder stock to dress them up a bit. 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

rogertra

Thanks Bob.

The engine has, in addition to the kitbashed tender, new steam dome, sand box, sand pipes and an airtank on the pilot deck.  Most GER steam locos have an airtank on the pilot deck.  The idea was to take away the "Russian" look.  I think I've been reasonably successful.

Woody Elmore

The variation in tenders was due to the needs of specific railroads. Tenders were frequently swapped or exchanged for bigger or smaller tenders. You need to look at specific railroads to see what kind of tender was used.
     If you'd like a Vandy tender, try swapping from another Bachmann engine.

rogertra

Quote from: Pacific Northern on September 15, 2008, 01:48:52 PM
Quote from: Pacific Northern on September 13, 2008, 07:45:54 PM
I am advised that the 2-10-0 Spectrum Russian has both a short and also a regular tender.

I thought the Russian had the same tender as the spectrum 2-8-0 (except Vandy).

Is there a link to the short Russian tender? Which roadname uses the short tender. Is the regualr tender for the Russian the same as the 2-8-0? (except UP Vandy)

I obviously did not make my question clear.

The question was directed to the Spectrum Russian models only. Which roadnames used the short tender, which used the tender as found on the Consolidation. All the tenders seem to be the same that I have seen.

Google is our friend.  If you do a little 'leg work' of your own you'll be able to see which locos have which tender.

Pacific Northern

When I was trying to find the Russian short tender I checked the product section and reviewed the available tenders.

Did not realize that the shorter tender was in fact the one used by the 63" high driver 4-6-0 as well.  I kept envisioning the Russian engine coupled with the short tender used with the 4-4-0 and low driver 4-6-0.

Why is this shorter tender not shown as being available in the product section.?  I would like to obtain a couple of tenders for a few of the 2-8-0's I have but may have to settle for the short Vandy instead.
Pacific Northern

rogertra

Quote from: Pacific Northern on September 15, 2008, 06:40:06 PM
When I was trying to find the Russian short tender I checked the product section and reviewed the available tenders.

Did not realize that the shorter tender was in fact the one used by the 63" high driver 4-6-0 as well.  I kept envisioning the Russian engine coupled with the short tender used with the 4-4-0 and low driver 4-6-0.

Why is this shorter tender not shown as being available in the product section.?  I would like to obtain a couple of tenders for a few of the 2-8-0's I have but may have to settle for the short Vandy instead.

Why not simply kitbash a shorter tender for the 2-8-0?  It's not difficult, I've done several as I feel the tender supllied with the 2-8-0 looks too long to begin with.

Like this example: -

Pacific Northern

Looks good.

I may try my hand at kitbashing a tender.

I just find it strange that there is a tender which is obviously still in production yet it is not available seperately.
Pacific Northern

rogertra

Not all Bachmann tenders are available seperately.  :(

SteamGene

Roger,
IIRC, you have followed the example of many of the Russian owners in making alterations to remove the European look.  Apparently the builders only changed the gauge from 5' to 4'8.5" and put knuckle couplers on them.  The the railroads took over.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rogertra

Gene.

Yes,  most (All?) of the locos simply had wider tires installed to bring the gauge down from the Russian  (Soviet) 5ft gauge to 4ft 81/2" standard gauge.  The USRA who purchased them all, I gather, swapped out the tires and removed the railings from the outer edges of the running boards and replaced all the metric gauges with "American" gauges and made some other minor changes in order to resell them on the American market.

Yes, I copied what some American roads subsiquently did and simply replaced the Russian steam dome with it's outside throttle linkage with a North American style steam dome and ditto with the Russian sandbox, replacing it with a North American sandbox.

However, in the GER History, these were never "Russians" but were built for the GER as light weight 2-10-0s from branchline work that previously required double headed 2-6-0s and 4-6-0s.