News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Collectibles today and DCC

Started by murfling, September 13, 2008, 03:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murfling

Does anybody know if the DCC FT units will accomodate the F7 bodies from the Collectible today trains?  I want to make my RED SOX train DCC as well as power the B unit to see if can actually pull the entire train, and if the bodies fit, this seems to be the easiest way to do it.

Thanx

Jim Banner

I have a number of old, brass Tenshodo FT and F3 shells that I run on Atheran F7 mechanisms.  Because the original bodies were the same size, the shells of the models should also be close in size.  At worst, you might have to remove a bit of plastic here and add a bit there inside the shell to make the mechanism fit and stay in place.

The larger problem, if you want an exact model, is the difference in wheel bases of the trucks.  If memory serves, the F7 truck is 18" longer between the axles than the FT truck.  This may or may not bother you.  It didn't bother me and so far (10 years on) nobody else has noticed.

Bottom line, even if the bodies require a bit of work, this would probably still be the easiest way to do it.  And having the same mechanism in both units may well make this the best way to do it.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Stephen D. Richards

Yes you can.  I did it.  The trucks will interchange and the locomotive bodies will interchange!  I ended up with two F7A, DCC units and two F7B, DCC units.  Works great and pulls much better. 
Stephen

murfling

Thank you very much!! Now I have a mission!!!