Proto 2000 E8 with sound can I add a DCC decoder

Started by Billm10454, September 29, 2008, 12:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billm10454

I bought several Proto 2000 E8's w/sound about a year ago. I thought they also had DCC installed. Evidently they do not. Can I just add adcc decoder and still have sound or do I need to add DCC and another sound decoder. In other words can I still use the sound decoder that is in it and just add a decoder. These were new in the box that I bought from Walthers. Thanks

Atlantic Central

Billm10454,

If they have sound, they have DCC, the other choice was/is DC with no sound. No DC sound version has ever been offered by Walthers/LifeLike/Proto.

If you are having operational problems it sounds like an address programing problem. Where they new? Then they should run on address 3 I believe.

If someone else has "played" with them, than there is no telling what address they may be set to.

I'm sure someone on here who actually uses DCC (I do not) can help you more.

Sheldon

jayl1

Sheldon is correct as per the Walthers website.  The DCC equipped are sound.

Jim Banner

If running your locomotive on address 3 fails, then you may want to reset the decoder to factory defaults.  If you have a manual, it should tell you which CV to set to what value to  reset the decoder.  If you do not have the manual, then inquire at Walthers or ask here and perhaps someone who owns one will give you the magic numbers.

If you are using E-Z Command, you will not be able to do a reset, but you can follow the procedure in the E-Z Command manual that deals with locomotives programmed to unknown addresses.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Billm10454

Thank you for all the replies. I was trying to run the engine with the Dynamis. I will try what was recommended.

Yampa Bob

A question similar to the one above was posted recently, however someone had a DCC equipped loco (no sound) that wanted to add a "sound only decoder", which I understand is available.  I don't think the member's issue was ever resolved.

My question is, why would anyone want to do this, rather than pull the old decoder and replace with a Motor and Sound decoder? 

I have never heard of anyone actually doing this, but apparently so since they do offer the sound only decoder.  Is the purpose to save money or what?
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

Digitrax decoders are reset by changing cv 8 to 8, or if your programing on the program track lets say with a NCE power cab  it is option 7. With that option, you will notice the engine cog forward or back a bit as some cv's are changed. This will put the factory defaults for all cv's.

Billm10454

Atlantic Central was right it does have a decoder for the engine. I placed it on the track and set it to 3 and it worked. Thanks again everyone.