News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Beats me!

Started by SteamGene, October 03, 2008, 03:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

I've been working on the west ladder yard for South River Yard.  Atlas, code 100, #6 left hand turnouts.  The first four tracks went down fine - parallel, two inch centers, no problem.  The the last turnout went in and I began to lay the track (Atlas code 100 flex) and darned if there isn't about four inches between track #4 and track #5.  Anybody have an idea as to what I might have done wrong?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat

pdlethbridge

Are you coming off a straight part of the switch?

rogertra

Gene.

May be a dumb question but are you positive the switch for track No. 5 is a No. 6 switch and not a No. 8 or something?

I'm assuming the track plan is something like: -

No. 6 right hand - straight for track 1.
No. 6 left hand - diverging for track 2.
No. 6 left hand - diverging for track 3.
No. 6 left hand - diverging for track 4.
No. 6 left hand - diverging for track 5 - straight for track 6.

Or more left hands until all the parallel yard tracks are laid?

SteamGene

Roger,
I thought about the possible  #8 myself - wish Atlas had come out with those sooner - but, no.  All #6.  Without going out to the barn,  pattern is how you figured.  The yard has a total of six tracks, with the main line going behind it. 
I will check the barn tomorrow and get back to you.  Also try the picture routine.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Joe Satnik

Gene,

Do you have another #6 left hand turnout to rest on top of (and compare to) the curve that forms the top rung of your ladder?

Armstrong's "Track Planning..." book shows a substitution radius of 56", and frog angle of 9.5 degrees.  So, if your top curve was 56"R - 9.5 degrees it should imitate the divergent portion of the #6 turnout.

Are you using the Atlas layout software?  Try your ladder on it and see if it does the same.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Atlantic Central

Gene,

Are all the turnouts Atlas Custom Line? Atlas does/did also sell a #6 "Super Switch" which has longer leads on both diverging routes, much like a Walthers turnout. These come in a silver and black package rather than red.

Sheldon

SteamGene

Okay, I have taken a couple of pictures and left the camera in the barn.  I'll get back out there and see if I can upload them. 
All the turnouts are Custom Line #6s.  They came in a red, white, and black blister package and are the same length - 12 inches long with 7 and a fraction from single end to frog. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat